NYC Chinese restaurant?

We’ll be in NYC over the holidays. Looking for a recommendation for a Chinese place on Christmas.

Peking duck house. Downtown one has free corkage. Uptown one charges $10. Glassware bad, bring your own. But what do you want for free (or for $10)?
And the food is good

Thanks, Peter, sounds good.

Peter’s suggestion is an excellent one, of course, but thought a few more ideas wouldn’t hurt.

If they’re open, I always love Hakkasan. I’m taking my staff there for our holiday meal/party and I always enjoy it. Great wine list, too. Somewhat upscale in look and feel so might make everyone feel festive.

If you want an undiscovered, hole in the wall (though the NY Times did give it a good review), try Le Vie in Szechuan on 33rd St near Lex.

Grand Sichuan International on 9th Ave at 24th St is very good.

I recently went to the redone Shun Lee West just off Central Park South; wasn’t impressed. As good as ever, but that’s not saying a lot unless you happen to like it (which I do, but its nothing special IMHO).

Very good suggestions.

I’ll add China Cafe which is really interesting and I think unique. Gotta love spice though.

Hakkasan is walking distance from our hotel, and the menu is extensive. Looks like they are closed 12/25, but we may try them on the 24th. Any favorite dishes there?

And a dumb question: they show hours for “Ling Ling.” What is Ling Ling, the bar?

that’s the sound the phone makes in a chinese restaurant.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I also like many of the dishes at Ping’s Seafood in Chinatown (avoid the beef with mushroom roll and the dumplings are generally so-so). Crispy silverfish, duck tongue, peking duck, duck breast, Ping’s special fried rice are all good as are the soups. $10 corkage. Can be noisy though.

Other than that Peking Duck House and Grand Sichuan are my old reliable destinations.

Lan Sheng for Sichuan…and $12 corkage but bring your own stems.

Bumping this thread - anyone have any additional suggestions or thoughts for a party of approx. 15 in mid-December? A colleague will be in NYC and is looking for a spot for a larger family dinner.

FWIW, I recommended China Café as I had a great experience there a year or so back.

Everyone answering here knows what’s available more than I do, but when I was in lower Manhattan for a case, I must have eaten at Pekind Duck House a dozen times, and it was always terrific. I would not hesitate if I were you

Thx Neal.

Don’t know how much you’d like to spend, so here are a couple from 2 sides of the costs spectrum:

Yunnan BBQ in the Lower East Side http://www.yunnanbbq.com/

La Chine inside Waldorf Astoria Hotel http://lachinenyc.com/

For something a little different you might try Red Farm. The Katz’s Pastrami Egg Roll is really good.

Take it from a Chinese man: Nan Xiang Dumpling House. Awesome place to eat!

Thx all - appreciate the input.

China blue is decent, good decor and good service. The food is a bit more expensive and on par with the rest of NYC, however several of the dishes are good. Located in a quiet part of Tribeca.

Shanghai Asian Manner is a good spot that is always packed and we have been over 20 times throughout the years, though its more of a hole in the wall so you probably can’t linger. Probably one of the best in Chinatown, imo.

Han Dynasty, located in the East Village, is also very good. Its an offshoot of the one from Philly, though friends of mine whom have had both say that the Philly location is much better. However, the ingredients are always fresh but as its Szechuanese its a bit on the spicy side, though the non spicy dishes are pretty good. Its definitely the best Szechuan place in the city.

Will have to try Nan Xiang Dumpling House. Le Chine sounds interesting, especially since the Waldorf is now partly owned by a Chinese investment group.

We gave it a try this last weekend. Soup dumplings and the braised beef soup were wonderful. Other dumplings (Shu mai, fried pork dumplings and fried pork buns) were pretty so-so. Made a stop at the huge J Mart afterwards.

We also visited Yakitori Totto for the first time which was a lot of fun. Highlights were the heart yakitori, shiitake yakitori, cold soba with dipping sauce and the rice dishes with egg.