Portlandia

I have a like-hate relationship with Portlandia. I hated living there as a college student in the '70s and like visiting now for the odd weekend reunion or family event. We will be in town for Thanksgiving week and I need a couple of specific recommendations:

1. What is the best cheese shop in town?

2. What is the best bakery in town?

3. Any idea where I can buy truffle honey (real truffle honey, not that crap with ‘essence’ or ‘aroma’ of truffle)?

4. Where is a good place to watch football while drinking quality beers in a comfortable environment?

5. Who has the best bloody mary brunch in town? I’m looking for somewhere other than The Nines or Paragon.

Thanks in advance.

1. Cheese Bar on SE Belmont and 60th. Runner up is Pastaworks, NW location especially. Then maybe Foster & Dobbs.
  2. Depends, several good ones with strengths and weaknesses. For pure pastry it’s hard to beat Bakeshop but it has no atmosphere or bread. Also good is Fleur d’Lis. For bread-oriented, Ken’s Artisan, or Pearl or Little T. Several others have followings.
  3. Pastaworks or Cheese Bar again.
  4. Not that great here, Saraveza or Old Gold maybe, or Spirit of 77.
  5. Broder (scandanavian brunch), Tasty n Alder or Tasy n sons. Besaws. Many other options though.

You might check out the Multnomah Whiskey Library if you have time…

Thanks, John, for your recommendations. My nephew invited me to the Whiskey Library the last time I was in town; maybe I’ll take him up on it this time.

I love Tasty N Alder, but they don’t take reservations for brunch and there will be 10 of us.

Two thoughts closer to downtown. For football, Henry’s and for brunch, Clyde Common if you’re serious about the Bloody Mary. They don’t take reservations but they tend to get overlooked for brunch. FWIW, Saraveza is the Packers bar in town.

Yeah that’s an issue with Gorham’s places all right. Too popular! As are many good brunch places around town. That is one part of Portlandia that isn’t as exaggerated as it seems. Try getting into Simpatica, Screen Door or Tin Shed for examples without a hefty wait…

I believe that Mother’s Bistro takes some brunch reservations, and it can be pretty solid.