Denver hotel and restaurants

Going to be in Denver just one night with my wife, any particular recommendations? If there’s something unique and interesting downtown, that would be cool, otherwise I’ll probably just do something like the Grand Hyatt.

While I’m at it, any interesting restaurants to recommend?

Thanks,
Alan

Acorn Restaurant and Lower 48 and both great restaurants.

Brown Palace is a very interesting place to stay. Historic, folkloric . . . very comfortable rooms. Not in the best neighborhood for dining and shopping options nearby, but the hotel is unique

Neal, saw that one when I searched on Travlocity, thanks for the rec. We’ll have a car, so location isn’t a problem.

Panzano for great Italian food. In the Hotel Monaco. On 17th street, just off the mall.

Brown Palace was on my company’s preferred list for a while and I always found it rundown and tired when I stayed there for business, though definitely interesting. I traveled there once with a colleague from London who was…displeased with his accommodations, shall we say. The new Four Seasons property there is very nice, if you like the Four Seasons style, which I do.

I’m sorry to hear that. I stayed there twice and thought the room was terrific both times. It has been at least 5 years or so though. And I had a suite, which might make a difference.

I dated the hottest TX beauty queen at The Brown Palace one weekend back around 2002. Great hotel, also had a suite which mattered not.

Great happy hour at Panzano but the rooms are a little on the smallish side. Decent central location so I often choose it. Am a fan of the Hotel Teatro as well but a little further off 16th.

We stayed at the Hotel Teatro last week, which is right next door to the Four Seasons. Nice little boutique hotel built in an old street car station.

Acorn, Sushi Den and Fruition are all terrific. We tried Mercantile and Mizuna on this last visit. Both were good. Frasca or Oak in Boulder are probably the two best choices in the area.

Was also going to suggest the Hotel Teatro which is a wonderful small boutique hotel. The Oxford is another great one and their bar, the Cruise Room is in its original Art Deco style and mixes great drinks.

Don’t know if you need a downtown restaurant or you will have transportation but Fruition and Table 6 are our favorites, Sushi Or Izakya Den are the places to go for sushi and all are a short cab/Uber ride from downtown. For something a little trendier, Root Down, Linger and Old Major are favorites. And very close to downtown (LoHi). Acorn gets great press but we were underwhelmed.

Try the new Crawford hotel in Union Station. Just opened in the newly revamped transportation hub of Denver. Many new eateries in the station and close by.

And just how is this going to help me? :wink: neener

What Sarah said, with my money on you being in a suite making the difference. I stayed there and the room was incredibly small with a rickety old radiator heater from 1900. Lobby/atrium is really nice and it’s a nice cocktail stop.

Euchlid Hall is one of my favorite places in Denver. Think gastropub - ton of great beer to chase down duck poutine, house-made sausages, roasted marrow bones, etc.

Rioja is also in the same group and a favorite. I hit up Snooze for breakfast this trip (new location at Union Station) and it was realllllly good, but an obnoxiously long wait. Good thing is I believe they took my cell number and texted when ready, so we walked around the station.

If you do end up with the car, do dinner at Frasca in Boulder. No brainer. I have had two fantastic meals there - wine director (master somm) and chef were both with the French Laundry group, iirc. Not cheap, but fantastic.

I will second Chris’ recommendation of the Crawford. Cooper Lounge space is great for cocktails and you have Stoic & Genuine and Mercantile on premise. I would also endorse Acorn and Lower 48. As noted, Frasca is exceptional but you are 45 minutes or so to Boulder.
close to Lower 48 you have a whole slew of options in RiNo: Work & Class, Amergo Delicatus, the Populist, etc. the beard/hipster quotient is high but the food is solid.