NYC Restaraunt Rec: pre-Theatre

Spending this Thursday night on Broadway with an 8PM show. Any recs for restaurants in the area? My wife, 17 yo son and I are eating at Per Se the Friday night, so nothin’ fancy on Thursday. Italian would work, although there’s really no particular food preference. Fun wine list a plus but not essential. TIA

I like Esca on 43rd and 9th. Italian but they do seafood especially well. Good wine list. Not cheap though.

+1 on Esca, best in the area.

If you need cheap, Becco is adequate (sometimes good, sometimes pasta is overcooked, but they’ll redo it for you - only matters if you get the all you can eat pasta add-on). The best feature is a $25/bottle list with interesting choices that are much more elsewhere.

I prefer Esca by a long shot, but if I’m picking up the bill for 6 for non-foodies, Becco works quite well.

Agree with the above. If you are just looking to eat per theater and not have a major dining experience, Becco is the best bet.

Becco is extremely convenient and the cooking is solid. A little frenzied but that is the nature of the pre-theater dinner experience.

It’s been many years, but I always liked John’s for pre-theater pizza. There also used to be some decent Thai places on ninth.

Michael

Becco is very good.
So is Molyvos pretheater for $38
http://www.livanosrestaurantgroup.com/files/pdf/Molyvos-PreTheaterMenu.pdf
and Boulud Bistro Moderne for $48

agreed

Esca was fantastic. Thanks for all of the recommendations!
image.jpg

Too late for Warren, but we did a pre-theater at
La Masseria
a few weeks ago. Very nice food, not too noisy or rushed. Anyone else been there?