Train from Philly to NY

Will be in Westchester, PA later this month for surprise retirement party (otherwise would just ask him) and want to take train to NY Grand Central on Sunday. Did a quick Amtrak search and looks like 3+ hours from Westchester, 1 1/2 from Philly. Whats the hot tip to get to NY by train?

TIA

Not sure what you are asking. There are two trains from Phil (30th Street Stn) to NYC (Penn Station, not Grand Central). The Acela and the Regional, which makes a couple additional stops. The Acela is incrementally more comfortable and a little faster. Depending on the car you are in, the Regional can be a little down at the heels.

I don’t know where Westchester is, but I suspect that train is a local (lots of stops) that will take you to 30th St

Westchester is a suburb west of philly about 30 miles with a mainline running through it. Hotel in NY is near Grand Central. I can get a ride into Philly if that would make sense or catch train closer to Westchester? I know my brother in law does the trip all of the time but its a surprise. You think its no problem to wait until 2 days before (after we arrive in Philly) to book train or is booking even necessary?

Definitely book in advance. Earlier you book, better price options you will get as well as more seating choices. I recommend upgrading to Business Class if possible. Really makes a difference IMO.

Some good discussion here

The Acela is business and first; first comes with food I wouldn’t eat, so I never upgrade there. Same seats. Acela does sell out sometimes, so advance purchase is recommended, as Bone says.

I suspect the local into Philadelphia stops at every township on the way in, but depending on the time of day, it may still be quicker b/c traffic. And you can just sit back and watch the world go by.

Perfect just what I was looking for. I guess I can decide if I want to take the regional train from Westchester area into Philly when i get there.

It’s not a trivial drive from West Chester to 30th street. Depending on time if day and weather the commuter train may be a more reliable, or at least predictable, option. Of course I’ve probably now ensured a tree down on that line!

Commuter trains (SEPTA) and Regional line (Amtrak) are in different sections of the same station.

door-to-door could be more than 4 hours with at least 2 trains.

i’d just drive.

You should also know that the train does not go into Wet Chester. Closest station is Exton. I am not sure if Amtrak stops there and at some times of day, only some SEPTA trains go to Exton. All trains go to Paoli which isn’t that far away. not sure cabs are reliably available at either station.

The difference in the Amtrak regional line and the Acela is one or two extra stops, may save 10 minutes or so on the trip from 30th street to NY Penn. Take a cab from NY Penn to your hotel.

So sad. The train infrastructure in Switzerland is so remarkable. It is nearly always faster than driving…

I might be too late to add something. You might be better off driving down to Wilmington and catching the Amtrak to NY. West Chester is not that far from Wilmington. Same trains.

Thanks for all input - decided to uber to Philly station and take train from there. Sunday midday traffic shouldn’t be too bad I hope.

Check with Uber on your return. I don’t think they can pick up @30th St.

Going one way - flying into Philly, uber to Westchester, uber to 30th, train to NY and fly out of NY.
Easy peasy.

Which Sunday? Eagles have a 4:15 home game on Sunday 12/7. Chaos will reign.

Amtrak prices tend to go up as they get filled up and as time gets closer to departure. So, to get a better price, book early.

Agreed Howard, though if you are a regular Amtrak traveler, it pays to check last minute because sometimes prices fall a lot in the few hours before the train. I often cancel a more expensive ticket for credit, and buy a less expensive ticket on the same train I just cancelled at a lower price. There’s no penalty if you take the cancelled price in credit. I’ve done this a half dozen times at least.

Q:You know how to tell a tourist in Switzerland?

A: They’re the ones standing at the platform 10 minutes before the train departs.

You can literally set your watch by the departure time. Amazing.