O'Hare Layover

There may be a thread on this. Apologies if so.

On Friday, my wife and I fly into O’Hare from Dublin. We land at 3:30 at Terminal 5, clear customs, etc., but don’t fly out of Terminal 1 until 8:10. I’m thinking it might be possible to take the Blue Line into the city, have an early dinner, and get back in time to catch our flight.

The Damen stop in Bucktown might be as far in as I care to go unless there is someplace convenient to Division, Chicago, or Grand that won’t throw us off too much time-wise. But, of course, Ill take recommendations further out as well. Has to be easy walking distance from the train stop. Has to be a place where reservations aren’t needed. This will be on Halloween, so that could be a factor. Food far more important than beverage. Ambience/Decor doesn’t matter.

If all of this is just a good wish, then I’ll take a recommendation for Terminal 1.

Thanks!

Longman and Eagle is right by the Logan Square el stop. However, I’d plan on a 45m trip each way (it shouldn’t take you that long, but you’ll need to buy a card, wait for the train, etc.) and they don’t take reservations. Personally, I wouldn’t chance it – you’re going to have a rushed meal and that’s never fun.

You have to figure about an hour on the blue line each way downtown plus time to walk cab where ever you are going. It is doable but very tight like Corey said. Fridays tend to be VERY busy at ORD so keep that in mind. Also check to see if you preclear customs and immigrations in Dublin I know there is an agreement in place that allows some people coming out of Dublin to do this.

I would take your time go over to Tortas Frontera have some good Mexican food and a couple margaritas and save yourself the stress of having to get downtown and back. A day pass at the United Club would be a good idea too.

George

I think the Damen stop is closed on the Blue Line for upgrade. Logan Square is probably your best shot, but I agree that Tortas Frontera in Terminal 1 and 3 is a good way to spend some time

Love Longman and Eagle…The wait could be long…I think you can still eat at their bar. The meatball and Pretzel are pretty good.

I see two people beat me to the Tortas Frontera recommendation.

International flight arrive at 3:30pm
you’re lucky if you get out of the airport by 4:15pm.
You need to be back by 6:45pm latest (for 8:10pm flight).

so you got 2.5 hours… 1.5 hours lost in transit minimum… so is an hour worth it?

I’d say if you were travelling solo and don’t mind the hassel… but probably not worth it…

Poor choice but you will still be in airport at this Hilton hotel restaurant
Andiamo

I figured Tortas Frontera would be my back up. I’ll see what time it is when I exit Terminal 5 and make the call at that time. Thanks, everyone.

Go to Tortas.

There is a sushi restaurant between terminal 1 and 2 that is pretty good also.

George

Just cleared US Preclearance in Dublin. I’ll make a game time decision at O’Hare.

Friday traffic is terrible. If you end up going to Longman and Eagle, get off at Logan Square and you’re about a block away. Fwiw, there are a couple of newish wine bars at o’hare, though I’ve never been so can’t comment on quality.

Best of luck, and travel safe.

Did neither the train nor Tortas Frontera. Currently in the Lutheran General Hospital ER. Wife with severe upper abdominal pain undergoing tests. Will miss flight back home to MSP tonight.

Hope everything is okay.

I hope your wife feels better.

Best wishes, hope she’s all better soon.

All good. Discharged. Missed flight home. Rebooked for Saturday. Thanks for the thoughts. Dinner nded up being room service at the Roaemount Hilton just before the kitchen closed, but what can you do?

Glad to hear everything is OK. ORD was a mess yesterday anyway. Much easier to fly out today.

George

Glad to hear everything turned out OK Brad.