AIR FRANCE`S HEAVY HANDED CARRYON BAGGAGE ENFORCEMENT

I`m writing this in order to help any and all avoid what we had to endure and to be extremely smart about airline carryon policies.

One month ago, we flew from LA to Amsterdam via KLM and yesterday, October 21, 2014, returned from Paris to LA on their partner, Air France [AF].

I received an email ahead of time from AF regarding on line check in only to be informed I needed a visa or green card and could not check in except at the airport [CDG]. Obviously, they did not recognize we were US citizens and our flight was a return flight, not an initial one.

We arrived 3 hours ahead of departure time, went to obtain boarding passes and check in our one bag each only to find it was all done electronically. There were long lines in front of each machine with much confusion and unfamiliarity with the how to navigate the process. One in front of us took at least 10 minutes to complete the transactions.

After 25 minutes, we entered another long line to drop off our check in bags which took another 15-20 minutes. At no point were our carryon bags weighed as they were with KLM although KLM did not combine all bags, purses, etc. We were within the allowed weight.

We then walked about 10 minutes to enter the longest line yet which was for passport control and after few minutes were “randomly” selected to go to another line for carryon weight and size control. While standing in this line, we overheard considerable anger and shouting from passengers as well as even the enforcers amongst themselves.

We observed bags being shoved into a steel frame for sizing. In many instances, the bag was a tight fit and was forced down and into the frame to the detriment of the bag. Bags were scarred, scratched and/ or zipper pulls were ripped off either when placed into or removed or both.

Additionally, they added purses and shoulder bags to the total weight calculation which easily put most over the limit of 12 kg/ 26 pounds. The handlers then yelled and badgered each person for being over weight, slapped a very large red AF tag on the bag, marked up the boarding pass and demanded all, including us, to go back to a baggage area near where we had started.

We saw some people taking their most important items out of their bag and leaving the bag and the remaining contents and walking off to re-enter the passport control. Whether this was due to a time issue, not wanting to pay the fee or just frustration, we do not know. In one case, a person claimed he had already paid an excess baggage weight fee, but to no avail and he became so enraged, he started to push though and was confronted with additional threats of force and police interaction. This scene was horrible.

Even though we each returned with the same weight distribution for our checkin and our carryon bags with KLM, it was not acceptable for AF. It also was not even a size issue, but merely a combined weight matter.

We returned to the baggage area and discovered the fee for each bag was 70 Euros, about $100. When we explained this could have been avoided if our carryons were weighed at the same time as our check ins and if there was an issue, we could have redistributed in such a way as to avoid any of this easily. For us it would only have entailed taking out our heavy lined raincoats which weighed much more than the excess of a few kgs and replacing carryon on items sans my laptop.

Fortunately, if one can use this term at this point, the lady at the counter finally relented and informed us we may be able to shift some items and only have to check in one bag which is what happened.

Nonetheless, it was an extremely stressful situation that could have been avoided. The personal attack and angry confrontation by the baggage control personnel was way too aggressive and not necessary. The fee for a small check in size bag was way excessive. I have to think some people probably did not even make their flight.

For us, after going through the lengthy passport line and then to take a tram over to the security for our flight and go through that process, we arrived at our gate as the plane was being boarded. While doing so, we observed many passengers with 3 carryon bags, oversized bags and obvious weight violations unless they were carrying cotton balls.

We learned many lessons not the least of which is we will not fly AF again. We will be pro actively involved in assuring we are within any weight and size requirements and when booking reservations we will ensure we can do so online.

I am forever grateful I am not a baggage control person for AF and for never having to be confronted by one again.

Take heed.

Not just AF, CDG is notorious for this. When the “liquid” rule first came out, I went through something similar on the jet bridge boarding an American flight. I demanded to see a supervisor who was able to retify the issue, but not before it made for a stressful event and the “agent” had ripped through my bags, opened sealed duty free, etc… Always ask for a supervisor.

Many years ago NY to Nice, Air France lost all of our luggage. We were traveling with 2 young children. The luggage showed up 3 days later. When my husband visited the Air France office in Cannes to try to extend our trip a few days, after explaining our situation the agent responded " Do you want me to cry for you?"

We flew Air France into and out of CDG last summer and had no issues what so ever. The baggage/ticket kiosks are a bit confusing but there was somewhere there to help us who spoke pretty good English.

George

Love this. The self importance of ‘some’ French when they get in any position of power is just staggering. Love the country, love the food/wine, love most of the people we meet. But some, the worst in the free world.

The service onboard was very good, but the terminal was something else. Noneexistent signage and line control made it very difficult to figure out which line one was supposed to take; though “the longest one at any point” turned out to be uncannily accurate.

I was pretty cheesed about the 12kg limit; a single book can be a kilo! A few books, tablet or laptop, and some toiletries will get you there with a personal bag, let alone both of them. I can sort of see a weight for the overhead bag, but the one that’s going under my seat?!

Wow. sounds like a horrible ordeal…
i’ve never experienced this but that would annoy me greatly…

Vous ne l’aimez pas mon pays monsieur ?
Votre chien mord ? neener

Cela ne concerne pas le pays , il est sur ​​une politique du transport aérien et c`est moyens de manipulation

I totally agree, the service onboard was exceptional. It was getting there that was the issue.

I wouldn’t worry about Air France’s heavy handed carry on baggage enforcement. I would worry more about whether or not they will be on strike. Caught me once and my daughter once.

In my experience France and transportation don’t go well together. I’ve had the pleasure of several air traffic controller strikes at the Paris airport. A mass transit strike in Paris and a gas strike in southern France.

We are flying to LA from Nice (on AF) this summer and only changing planes in Paris. Hopefully, the initial boarding is easier in Nice and the transfer process is not quite so hectic. [truce.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Least favorite airport.

When AF and France are not on strike, their transportation system works wonderfully. Well, CDG has its issues, but so far I haven’t run into too many and I use it a LOT. In fact, just landed in Paris this morning on an A380. We landed 8:18am, and I was through Customs by 9:30 with my (checked in) suitcase.

That said, when there’s a strike, it’s Hell.

I flew home from Paris yesterday and encountered the same issue as the OP wrote about. I got to the airport early, checked in my big suitcase which had all my heavy stuff like samples (about 22 kgs, just below the allowable weight), but I knew I was checking it in so had paid for it online before leaving (saving 20%).

I went to go through Customs and there were long lines as it’s a holiday weekend in Europe. For the first time ever, and just as the OP wrote, I got pulled out of the line (as did many others) as I had a roller bag and a laptop bag. The two combined weighed 17 kgs which was above the 12 allowed. After returning to the bag check, I had a long, firm but polite chat with them in French, and found out why this was happening.

Apparently, when planes are full they strictly enforce the 12 kgs limit. I fly AF a lot and this had never happened to me (and I’d never seen it either). But as this was a vacation weekend, I was told that many people who rarely/never fly were trying to get onboard with huge bags (true) and so this is when they really crack down. I stayed calm and reiterated that I was on business and had flown them all the time at this time of the year. A very nice supervisor eventually waived the excess bag fee (100 Euros now BTW) and checked in my roller bag.

To put it mildly, I was annoyed, though they were right, my flight was packed to capacity. I’d be really PO’d if I’d had to pay the excess bag fee, however.

Not sure if you can get away with it in Paris but I mentioned this thread to a friend and he mentioned that he goes into an airport shop and buys something. He takes any heavy items out of his carry on and smiles at them as they weigh his carry on. Because the airport wants to support it’s shops, bags from them usually get a pass.

I appreciate your patience. I lost mine and know that never works. We were treated like criminals. With one passenger, it almost became physical. I know better, but the two baggage people pushed the envelope.

People were getting very loud and angry with the baggage inspectors, so I can understand how they reacted. Heck, I got PO’d at him but calmed down on the walk back to the luggage check, which saved me 100 Euros. Very annoying as they weighed everything you were carrying together, so even with an airport Duty Free bag I’m not sure you’d have gotten away with it.

The 2 people we had would have laughed at the bags and added them to the total weight to further prove their point.