Santa Ynez area restaurants?

Any recommendations from the SYV locals or anyone who has visited lately? Looking at places for the wifey’s birthday dinner in a few weeks, and we haven’t been up to the area in over the year so just wanted to see if there was anything in particular I should be looking into… Currently considering:
SY Kitchen
the Ballard Inn restaurant
new Mattei’s Tavern (have been to the previous incarnation)
maybe the new Brothers Restaurant?

Thx in advance for any help/thoughts/suggestions…

My wife and I have always enjoyed Root 246, though I understand it has gotten a bit hit or miss lately.

That was actually one of the options I’d been looking at as well, and then heard a few up and down things recently like you mentioned so moved it to the bottom of the list… I appreciate it Bob!

Mattei’s Tavern has great food and an excellent wine list. I have been 3 times in the past few months.

i really like this place and my italian wife likes it too.

That’s a tough critic.

The calamari alla Positano is amazing. It’s an anti pasta and I had them make an entré after I tasted it. I wrote up the dinner here with pictures as well as the hitching post.

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=17742

Not on your list -
Industrial Eats in B-Town on Industrial way. Though not in SY / Highly Recommend

On your list -
Ballard Inn kills it. Very nicely appointed rooms, too
Brothers (or their “sister” restaurant Sides in Los Olivos at the old Patricks Side Street Cafe) does a fine job.
SY Kitchen is fabulous - get on OpenTable early
Grappolo is usually very good
Haven’t done Mattei’s only due to price constraints
Hitching post too spendy and limited menu (respectfully)

Thank you Brig & Michael for the feedback, I really appreciate it. (Brig always amusing to read your write-ups!)
Not totally a surprise, but the wifey ended up finding a completely different place that she got excited about, so it looks like we’ll be eating at the Mirabelle Restaurant (which is at the Mirabelle Inn). In all our trips there I’ve never even seen the Mirabelle as a place to stay, but the Yelp reviews for the restaurant seem to be pretty good, so we’ll see how it goes…
Michael its funny that you mentioned Sides, the last 2 times we’ve been in Los Olivos we’ve tried to go for lunch but showed up right after it closed. Maybe this time’s the charm!

Jesse -

PM sent re: Mirabelle

I personally never miss http://fulloflifefoods.com in Los Alamos when I am in the area or passing through. Casual, fun, healthy, delicious food. Giant pizza oven in the center of the restaurant surrounded by tables. Always packed with locals - a good sign. I literally have driven from Santa Barbara - 45 minutes and loved it. Menu always different.

Originally got turned on to this place 10+ years ago when in Portland , Maine and went to American Flatbread. Fell hard and found out there was an outpost in Central Coast, Cal. Went many times and a few years back they broke from the original and started under this name and they haven’t skipped a beat.

Only downside is they are open Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun only and do not take reservations.