Foreign Travel Car Rental Insurance Coverage

One of my credit cards has a benefit of collision waiver coverage for car rentals. Just to be thorough, I decided to listen the the detailed explanation of the benefit over the phone. Everything was sounding good until, “This benefit does not apply to cars rented in Ireland, Israel, or Jamaica.” I can somewhat understand the latter two countries. But Ireland? Oh, well. Looks like my rental contract there will be for a higher amount than I’d like. But I’m not going to drive without the insurance coverage on the vehicle.

CDW is usually included as standard in Europe, but with an excess.

I don’t generally take the additional insurance to reduce the excess.

I most commonly book with holidayautos.com, no affiliation. Usually cheaper than going direct to the big names, even with an ok discount code.

Brad
I think this is because the state provides the cover via the IVMB (Ireland visiting motor bureau), which has back to back arrangements with other countries. Thus it looks like the card company are excluding on the basis it is already covered. You could certainly ask them directly if this is the reason (quote IVMB to them and ask them if this is the reason).

I had a quick look but could only find this rather dry link
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1987/en/si/0322.html

By chance I did some work from an Irish insurance company last year, where I had to work with claims data, hence how I came across IVMB (and it’s uninsured / hit and run driver equivalent MIBI). The Irish insurance company pays out and reclaims the amount from the IVMB/MIBI (essentially the government).

regards
Ian

I just checked Kayak.com, and HolidayAutos offered the lowest price for my upcoming trip.