BYOB etiquette (CA specific)

Living in a state where BYOB is legal, but rather uncommon, I have a couple of questions before my trip next week…

For wines that require a decant/slow ox, is it acceptable to open the bottle prior to arriving at the restaurant?

Is it common (or even allowed) to offer the server and/or chef a taste? I’m not planning on taking anything mind blowing, but would like to offer if they are able.

Any other info is appreciated.

Most places won’t bat an eye to an already opened bottle being brought in on corkage, but I have heard of places in CA that might not accept an already opened bottle. If you open a bottle, I would just push the cork back in flush, so it looks unopened to avoid this situation. I always offer a pour to the waiter/somm. They usually appreciate it and sometimes they waive the corkage!

+1

If it is a new place, I will push the cork back in. There are places around here that will not allow an opened bottle or will at least give you crap about it.

J

I do it all the time and never had an issue with an open bottle. Doesn’t mean there aren’t places.

Also always offer the waiter an small pour. Figure they’re getting glasses, decanter, etc so the least I can do. As jkim mentions, many times they don’t charge corkage if you turn them on.

Peyton; Not meaning to add a can of worms to the thread as you have received very good advice but don’t forget to tip relatively well where corkage is allowed.

Cheers!
Marshall

Depending on where you’re going you could try calling them to see if they’ll allow you to bring the wine over prior to dinner, some somm’s will decant it for you ahead of time.

All of the above. Out of maybe 100 times I’ve done BYO, there has only been one time where they nearly refused to allow us to consume a previously opened bottle. So if a wine really needs decanting beforehand, then I do that, but make sure to push the cork all the way back in. I wasn’t able to get a good explanation, but one theory I have is that it’s OK to bring wine into a restaurant, but perhaps not hard spirits, and they can’t guarantee what’s in the bottle. Or, if they don’t have a full liquor license (only wine/beer), they can’t risk someone consuming something harder on premises. Not sure if either of those is the case, would love to know the actual law.

Excellent, thanks for all the advice!!

In DC, we do BYO all the time and I have never had a problem decanting a wine first.

One thing I do try to do (and this really helps our wine tasting group with the restaurants we frequent) is to tip more heavily - kind of as if we bought a bottle. Don’t want the waiters hurt by BYO.

Wait . . . you don’t tip 20% of the wine-list-equivalent price of the wine you bring? newhere

I do the same. And I always offer the wait-staff (or somm if there is one or both) a taste

Maybe Rudy K can set you up with a wine label to slap on a bottle of Vodka. champagne.gif

I was wondering why the issue with an open bottle.

There are states, TX IIRC, where you can’t take your wine home after opening.

In Texas you are allowed to take an opened bottle out of a restaurant, but not a sealed bottle (if you purchased it at the restaurant and they have a liquor license). If they only serve wine and beer you are allowed to take sealed wine home as in a retail setting.

I am pretty sure you’ve posited the correct reason. I wouldn’t be surprised if the law forbids serving opened bottles. You can’t bring spirits into a restaurant