Montreal restaurants?

Will be in Montreal for work in November but have a few nights to myself - any restaurant recommendations? I’m aware already of Au Pied & L’Express - any others that are standouts? thanks in advance!

I fairly recently enjoyed, in order of my preference, Laloux, Les 400 Coups, Hotel Herman, and Liverpool House.

Some descriptions here…eating and drinking in Canada - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

A second for Laloux.

many thanks doug & andy!

Joe Beef and Liverpool House
They are in the same family of restaurants and both quite good. each is a bit loud and boisterous and the food “goes to 11.”
Liverpool House is a bit easier to get a reservation. They are a half block from each other.

Jun-I at 156 Avenue Laurier Ouest on the Plateau. Wonderful sushi and good service.

Ferreira - Portuguese restaurant on Rue Peel - noisy and service is a bit hit or miss but the food can be quite good. I have had some great seafood dishes there.

I am also partial to L’Entrecote- St. Jean in the center of Montreal. Limited menu - (basically, strip steak and a choice of soup or salad) but the steak is good and the service is usually top level. Nice ambiance too.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Michelle,

Where are you staying in Montreal? We stayed at the “W” and were there for just 3 days. Unfortunately, it was a Sun, Mon, Tues, so lots of places that we wanted to try were closed Sun/Mon. Au Pied du Cuchon was one that we wanted to try, but could not work it out. BUT, they have a food truck that parks right next to the “W”. Again, unfortunately, they were on vacation and only returned the day we were leaving. And, we only found out because we ran into it as we were walking back from breakfast on the day we checked out.

Joe Beef: Take this for what it is worth, because I was feeling terrible the night we had reservation, which got screwed up because I think the other couple that had a reservation for the same night from our Concierge “stole” our time slot. But they could not have been nicer and tried really hard and sincerely did their best. Got us in after we went to their other property a few stores down and had drink and a bite.

Now, for the bad news. My wife ordered their Foie Gras that they are famous for, and it was stunningly bad. How people rave about it is just mind boggling. I know our visit is really difficult to gauge, but if we end up back in Montreal, I would not go to Joe Beef, but only due to the tiny samples we had on a night that I was sick. And be aware that the place is “chopped up” and the tables are unbelievably on top of each other. Not my kind of place.

Montreal is the cleanest city I have ever been to. And it made me ashamed of our country for how disgusting our cities are, and since I live outside of NYC, I am most ashamed of it. WOW, it was shocking how clean it was. I could not find a piece of litter of you said you would give me $1000 if I brought you some. And while I did not get on the subway, I walked in and it was again stunning how beautiful and clean it was. Depressing that NYC is SO disgusting in comparison.

Other than Joe Beef, we really didn’t get to go anywhere special. We did go for some Jazz, which was fun. I can’t remember the name, but can dig it up if you are interested. Enjoy!

Toque & Laurie Raphaël for the cuisine of some of the top chefs in Quebec (Normand Laprise & Daniel Vézina).

Le Garde Manger for Chuck Hughes’ homey good food.

L’Epicier for Laurent Godbout who’s presently being a contestant in the Bocuse d’Or competition.

Europea for the famed cuisine of Jerome Ferrer.

Le Muscadin for some of the best italian food/wine outside of Italy.

O’Thym for a really nice BYO.

Also +1 for Ferreira.

Hey, I have a plan to visit in Montreal in next month with my wife. For which restaurant will be good ?

I’d like to bump this thread, but with a more focused request.

My family is going to spend about a week in Montreal this coming June. We have two young girls, ages 9 and 11, who each have self-imposed dietary limitations. But their palates are expanding (thankfully).

So, I’m looking for more family-friendly recommendations.

Colleagues at work suggested for food places:

Schwartz’s Smoked Meats
Moishe’s Steakhouse
St. Viader bagels
Bottega Pizzeria in Little Italy
Pizza Napoletana also in Little Italy
Lemeac in Outremont neighborhood.
Chao Phraya also in Outremont for thai.

Also, I’ve been told to go see the Biodome and the Botanic Garden. We also have tix for the Group of 16 match for the Women’s World Cup. Anything else?

Many Thanks.

Bar Bounya
Grumman 78
H4C
Tuck Shop
Kabocha
Cafe Plume
MELK Bar a Cafe
Milos
Wilensky’s Light Lunch

Awesome. Thanks. Eh.

[quote=“Steve Manzi”]Montreal is the cleanest city I have ever been to. And it made me ashamed of our country for how disgusting our cities are, and since I live outside of NYC, I am most ashamed of it. WOW, it was shocking how clean it was. I could not find a piece of litter of you said you would give me $1000 if I brought you some. And while I did not get on the subway, I walked in and it was again stunning how beautiful and clean it was. Depressing that NYC is SO disgusting in comparison. [quote]

It’s funny, when we were there in March 2013 I felt the exact opposite. I couldn’t believe how dirty the city was. Not full of litter. But stunningly grimy. If you leaned against anything your clothes were dirty instantly. My grey car looked brown. In places you would leave footprints in the grime. I’m guessing that’s what the winter weather brings to Montreal, but it sure could have used a good hosing down.

Schwartz’s Deli
Joe Beef
Pied de Cochon

You should message Mimikos Athanassiadis or Kevin Callahan on Facebook. They are both big time wine lovers that live in Montreal. I have offlined wiht these guys and they know their way around restaurants in Montreal. May be on this board too but I didn’t check. Haven’t seen anything from them.

Bouillon Bilk was our favorite when we visited last fall.

Winter in Mtl is brutal. They use TONS of salt and it takes until April to melt and May showers to clean away. Summers are beautiful, lots of flower planters everywhere.

In my experience, the foodie “bar” is set very high in Montreal, the average restaurant there is better than most of the fine restaurants in other cities, espcially considering the vast array of ethnic flavors. To me, the only city which comes close (and maybe surpasses it) is San Francisco.

Thanks Michael.

I’d guess that Mimikos should know the good Greek places. My wife’s Greek and I think we have tabbed Milos for a visit.

Glad to help Chae Yi. Both of those guys are great guys and they really know Montreal. I keep reading Mimikos posts about the action going on in Greece. I am sure your wife keeps up with that too. Actually interesting reading. Leaves me wondering what will happen. If you don’t know him, just reach out to him. If you want, I could PM him and let him know you are reaching out in case your PM goes to the “other” message box on Facebook.

We love visiting Montreal and Quebec City at the right time of the year. It can be miserably cold in the winter.

Of course, my comments won’t help until your next trip but if you have been there once, you will surely go again.

Chae,

I am from Montreal. I have 2 girls, 8 and 9, and this is where we go:

Schwartz’s
Fairmount bagels + Kem Koba ice cream, two doors away. Best ice cream!
Bottega Pizzeria is ok
Lemeac is a good kids friendly bistro
Chao Phraya is fine as well
Do not forget Maiko Sushi on Bernard St.
Graziella for Italian
Bouillon Bilk

Most restaurants in Montreal are very kids friendly.

If you want to purchase wine, you have to go the SAQ SIGNATURE, downtown Montreal.
If you have burgundy for sale, let me know!

Might I be of any other help, feel free to send me a PM.

P.S. winter is not too bad: it was minus 39 degrees celsius 2 days ago! ha ha

Wow Mike. It had to be the winter weather. We were there in the summer, and you could lick the walls, if that’s your thing of course, of every building we passed. Looked like everything was sand blasted. But I imagine that would change drastically in winters in Montreal.