St Paul dining recommendations

We will be in St Paul this coming weekend to see Prairie Home Companion live, staying at the St Paul Hotel. The grill at the hotel looks like a good dining choice, also looking at Meritage, and Heartland Reataurant. Any feedback or other recommendation appreciated. Within walking distance of the hotel preferred. thanks!

Meritage is the best wine/food option.

St. Paul Grill is solid and great location for you. Heartland was fine but I would never go back and I have never seen white wine served so cold in my life.

Yes, Meritage over Heartland. Book soon.

Meritage, no question.

Normally, I would say Meritage. But my last visit was terribly average, too many shortcuts were taken, and I think the owners are putting more energy into Brasserie Zentral, Cafe Zentral, Foreign Legion, and the new wine shop. You can reserve a table there, but check out the menu at Heartland close to the day of your visit, and maybe that will make the decision for you.

Not Saint Paul Grill regardless. Not Pazzaluna either.

A bit out of downtown with a very short cab ride (up on the hill by Metro State) but I’d throw out The Strip Club in addition to those mentioned above.

Meritage

I’d also go for Meritage.

With that said, I don’t care for their brunch menu. You might want to check it out if plan on going for brunch. And since trying their sister restaurant, Cafe Zentral, I’d be more inclined to recommend a cab to try out Zentral instead.

k.

Edit: You can always go check out the St. Paul Farmers market. Get some cheese there and charcuterie at Heartland right across the street.

I just ate at Meritage on Friday. Excellent food (my wife and I both ordered the duck breast) and service, and although the restaurant was packed it was not too loud to talk. Portions are on the small side, so although we each ordered an entree we had no problems finishing off an order of escargot, 3 oysters, and dessert.

One minor pet peeve - the bottle of Burgundy I purchased was served at room temp, and it was warm in there - 75 degrees or so. They have ~300 bottles of wine, at 2.5-3x retail, so not bad for the area.

I actually preferred Heartland over Meritage, but primarily due to price and atmosphere. However, Heartland will be a long walk (0.7 miles).

Either choice should be good, so enjoy!

There is a free courtesy shuttle at the St Paul hotel. They will run you to and from Heartland.

The SP Grill won’t let you bring wine. I’d probably try Meritage. If you’re up for a 20 minute drive I’d do Tila in Minneapolis. Tilia has the best vibe in town, super wine friendly and my favorite food too.

http://www.tiliampls.com/menu/ they don’t take res but can also eat overlooking the kitchen or at the bar. Try to grab a booth if only 4P. The place is zen like, everytime.

craig when did this happen at st paul grill. I have never had trouble bringing wine in.

Thanks for all of the excellent advice, we dined at Meritage and had great food and service. Hanger steak, mussels, tiny tuna tartare tacos were all good. Had Yamhill Valley Vineyards pinot by the glass - too young but tasty. My wife had a champagne cocktail with thyme and rosemary liquour and a twist of lemon peel that was excellent. We would go back in a second. Next night was St Paul Grill - food was typical steakhouse but good although the service was marginal. Barnett pinot noir by the glass was a good value and very drinkable.