western sicily

I will be in Sicily in Oct.I will have about a week at the end of Oct. after staying in Menfi.Any suggestions where to go,where to stay and where to eat would be greatly appreciated.

Back in April, We stayed at the Pensione Tranchina in the little town of Scopello, which is about an hour west of Palermo. A great place (that offers very nice meals to those who are guests) and it made a nice base for visits to Segesta, Monreale and the Zingara Nature Reserve. If you care to make a visit to the Piazza Armerina area to see the incredible Roman mosaics nearby, I recommend staying at the lovely Masseria Mandrascate.

Erice is cool. On a good day you can see Africa.

+1 on Erice. Very beautiful spot. The Greek ruins at Segesta should not be missed the (or one of the, I forget) best preserved Greek temples anywhere. The way the buildings fit into the landscape is breathtaking. Agrigento is larger, but mostly ruins from what I heard (didn’t go there). The countryside is very beautiful, should be esp. nice in the fall–not too hot!

Don’t overlook Trapani. It would be a very good place to base yourself, especially that time of year.

But where to stay and where to eat?

Would you be staying in a hotel or renting an apartment?

As far as restaurants, my best recommendation is to buy the Slow Foods Osterie guide. You will be able to buy it when you are in Italy. It has almost never steered me wrong. One place I highly recommend for Sunday lunch is Vultaggio, an agriturismo a few miles outside of Trapani.

We stayed here and liked it. They were shutting down for the season in October.

http://www.kafarahotel.it/

It’s not on the far west side but we road tripped from here every day until we went to the east coast.

We are back from western Sicily and had a wonderful time.I must thank Randall for the reccomendtion of Pensione Trinchini.The owner,Marasin,was so gracious that you felt immediately that you were in a friend’s home.The food was absolutely delicious and the inn was immaculate.

more details required! where did you go and what did you see?

More important: which wines did you drink? Didn’t by any chance try some Perricone (I just got an interesting ad for that)?

Sounds as though you enjoyed the Pensione Tranchina as much as we did, Richard!