Montreal - Happening very quickly

Just made last minute plans to make a trip that will put us in Montreal for a 2-3 days. Have not decided how long.

My wife and I are going to stop in and see a show in Williamstown Theater Festival, in Williamstown, MA on our way up to Burlington, VT to visit a long time friend, who is a long time no see friend. So, we figured we would continue up to Montreal for a few days before or after.

The first thing I really need and can hopefully get very quickly is opinions on two Starwood properties, both for location to Old Montreal and restaurants like Toque, Joe Beef, Au Pied de Cochon, L’Express, Ferraira Cafe, Schwartz Deli(?), and any other fun restaurants and other things to do.
1) Le Centre Sheraton Montreal - 1201 Boulevard Rene-Levesque West
2) W Montreal - 901 Square Victoria

Also, I’ve heard that there are some fun Jazz places if anyone knows of any fun places. And of course, any other suggestions would be wonderful. Also, is BYOB an option, and if so, worth it? Meaning, are any BYO places good enough to pass on other non byo places?

We will be in Montreal (if we end up doing it) on the 17th, so it is happening quickly.

Thanks for any help.

You will flip for Joe’ Beef

Hey, call Joe Beef soon I think they are closed this weekend. I have some friends from Chicago that are there the 14th -17th that spoke of this. I was there mid June and had a great time.
We went to Le Club Chasse et Peche and had a wonderful meal with a good list, Le Locale for a nice quiet meal and the food was good, and Schwartz’s which I could eat for lunch everyday for the rest of my life.
Toque was on the list but will have to wait til next time,
Enjoy!

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Not sure exactly what days we will be there yet, but looks like arriving on the 17th and checking out on the 20th. Or, we could visit my friend first, and then go on the 21st for 2-3 days.

I’m really interested if anyone thinks either hotel listed above is a good location for a short stay like ours. We will have our car, but would rather not use it.

Also, if there are any BYOs that are worth going, but only if good enough to pass up some of the other choices.

Thanks again.!

great meals recently at Les 400 Coups, Laloux, Hotel Herman, and Liverpool House, a sibling restaurant to Joe Beef.

I’m probably too late, bit here it goes :
Sheraron is well located, very central, indoor parking, etc., but is an older hotel. Nothing to complain about, very clean and good value, but it has nothing special.
W is more modern, trendy and you pay a premium for what comes with it. Some people wont care about the glass shower and the beautiful people at the bar, others will not even entertain the idea of going elsewhere.

Both will require that you use taxis for most the restaurants you want to go to.
There is a taxi stand in front of Sheraton.

Thanks for all the input. We are now here at the W and it is terrific. At the Hot Rate we pay, it can’t get better. We were really tired after arriving, so we rested up and then had a bite to eat and went to listen to some Jazz at Upstairs. Just back in the room and will try to hit some places that people recommended. We also have a list of restaurants that chefs have recommended here. Problem is, arriving on a Sunday without set plans, so Sunday is gone and Monday and Tuesday are not prime nights for the best places.

But we’ll enjoy it here and we do appreciate the help. Thanks guys!

Monday - Hotel Herman, open
Tuesday - Laloux, open

Without knowing the entire Montreal scene, I’d risk that those are among the best places!