St. Louis, MO

I assumed that there would be a thread on this city by now, but I didn’t see one in my search.

Heading here for a sports weekend in late September for Cardinals, Missouri Tigers, and Rams games. My group (6 guys) won’t have a ton of time in the city, but we will be looking for a good spot after the Cardinals game on Friday night, and probably Saturday and Sunday nights as well.

Any restaurant/bar spots that shouldn’t be missed? BBQ? Wine bar (I see “Bridge” online and that place looks great)

Thanks very much!

Great lunch spot:

Pappy’s Smokehouse
3106 Olive St, St Louis, MO
(314) 535-4340
11:00 am – 7:00 pm
4.6-296 reviews

May have a line to get in but they move through it pretty quickly. Food was outstanding!

Don’t know about not miss, but if you get stuck on ideas by Busch, Ruth’s Chris is what it is and the St Louis prices are more reasonable than some locations, it’s in the same building as Hyatt at The Arch. Joe Buck’s downtown ok for a bite and a beer/cocktail, pretty decent bbq, the smoked wings are tasty actually. Both within walking distance of Busch. Pass on Mike Shannon’s. 360 rooftop bar at the Hilton is ok as well. Nice views. Again, not a don’t miss, but 6 guys walking around St Louis might find it just fine for a cocktail. It can get busy though. Oh, Broadway Oyster Bar doesn’t suck.

If you are a baller and in the city, go to Tony’s.

How big must they be? Never been. Going to be in town after Labor Day for a couple of days.

Edit: just checked out the menu/prices… not exactly baller territory, but maybe for St. Louis :slight_smile:

and hope they don’t really use that truffle oil they mention in one of the appys [snort.gif]

For a while they were supposedly the highest rated restaurant in St. Louis. Been there a few times. They have the widely spaced tables and professional service. Their signature lobster dish is great. But it’s not worth a trip to downtown St. Louis just for them. But if I was already there it’s the place I’d go.

Not sure if they still do it, but you used to be able to buy and smoke cigars in the lounge.

I shoulda have qualified that as a St. Louis baller…

Tony’s is an old school place. The owner has been there forever. My first visit as in the early 70s. I’ve been many,many times as my Dad frequently had business meetings in St Louis and my Mom loved to eat well. I wouldn’t make a special trip but my last visit a few years ago was the same as always. Great service and very good food but it doesn’t change.

JD

Other than the conference room at Domaine, 33 Wine is my favorite place to drink wine in the city. They have a broad wine list, with great, geeky stuff by the bottle and some by the glass, as well as have a good beer selection and nice meat and cheese menu. Service is also good and the guys are knowledgeable if you want to really talk wine. It’s also fairly close to Cardinals stadium, though further than Bridge. A new cocktail bar down there is Planter’s House. It’s pretty good.

Taste in the Central West End is a great cocktail bar, as is Blood and Sand (more downtown). Taste is next door to Brasserie, which serves very good French fare.

I really don’t love Pappy’s BBQ and think it’s a huge zoo. It seems to be the place known outside of the city though. Sugarfire is great BBQ and has a more varied menu. Niche, however, is probably the best restaurant in the city and is quite excellent. If you’re looking for “baller” territory, this is the place to go. If you really need old school, Tony’s will work for that, but I always found the food at Niche more interesting and the one place not to miss in the city.

Wine and Cheese Place in Clayton is good if you want to do BYO–broad selection, some of the best prices for STL, not great service.

Enjoy the trip. A weekend is about the right amount of time to be in St. Louis. Check out Forest Park if you want to get outdoors and walk around some.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Very helpful!

Some good reccos. Elaia is giving Niche a good run for the money as the best restaurant in town-plus a great and quirky wine list. Vin de Set outdoors on the roof town can be fun if the weather is good. There is a wine bar about 2 blocks further S-near Baileys. Libertine in Clayton is also pretty good right now. And of course, you can eat in the new ballpark village across the street from the stadium now. There is also decent BBQ down the right field side-only 1 in the stadium serving different food.

No help with places to go, but GO CARDINALS!

I’ll be in downtown StL Tuesday night with an older coworker who cares naught about wine geekery, but does enjoy good food and will drink whatever I prescribe… any recs for a spot that is not super hip that has good food and a halfway decent beer/cocktail/wine selection?? Might try to hit the Cards game, so close to Busch would be a plus.

Bridge is your place.

Glad this thread got started as I will be there next month as well. Jon Favre is there now so hopefully we’ll get a few recs from his trip.