Europe for Christmas?

I need to use some airline VIP upgrades so thinking about Europe/Middle East from East Coast for Xmas (or at Thanksgiving if Xmas can’t work).

-Short trip (4-6 nights) - we did Paris for NYE for 2 nights from TX so timing isn’t an issue for us).
-Can be wine or non-wine as long as there is great food.
-Cold or warm.
-City or country.

I was thinking ICE HOTEL but hubby nixed that one and I want to avoid Dubai (been there done that).

Where would you go and why?

I would LOVE to be in VIENNA !

For relevance, why not Jerusalem!

If staying over xmas itself, worth maybe looking for specific hotel deals. A friend has done this before in the UK and got a great deal plus free corkage. The attitude of that hotel, was they make their money the rest of the year, so they go for a more relaxed attitude at xmas.

We did Lisbon a couple of years ago which was great. Shorter flight. Temps were good (50-60F) and really a great city that I think gets overlooked. Sintra which is just outside of Lisbon is also wonderful if you like history. Prices were cheap. We got a suite at the Ritz for 200 Euro a night.

George

Was in Berlin for xmas, and Vienna for NYE… concur that both are excellent at that time of the year…

This is more of a warning than an endorsement.

Spent Christmas/NYE 2011/2012 in Rome/Florence/Venice. Cold (had dusting of snow in Florence in NYE) and rainy during most of the time. Unbelievable amount of local and European tourists in all 3 cities … yes, crowded like it usually is during warmer months. Good restaurants not open as they usually are during other seasons.

Me, too.

Strasbourg is decked out in lights during the Christmas season, and it’s just gorgeous and festive at that time of year. Moreover, that you’re in Alsace, there is no shortage of great places to eat and drink!

With the exception of cold weather, we enjoyed London.
My wife has told me no more major cities in cold climates at the holiday season.

We will be in Dublin this year during Christmas. Heading to Barcelona on the 26th

Never actually been there for Christmas day.

We visited Andalusia and returned Dec 24. We visited Tuscany departing Dec 25.

The crowds were thin and mostly locals (meaning tourists from other parts of Spain and Italy). No trouble with hotels or restaurants and we got good deals. We actually got a free room upgrade at the Parador on the grounds of Alhambra.

It is winter but not in a bitter cold, totally overcast way. The sky can make for some dramatic views.

The cold also makes all that food and wine go down easier. [cheers.gif]

Attitudes are country, even region specific, some will close for 2-4 days, some you would barely notice it was Christmas.

Vienna is awesome. It’s like a miniature Paris.

We were in Ireland for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and it was great. We didn’t do much touristy stuff so crowds were not an issue. We did have 10" of show though which was a record for that time of year.

I’ll second Alsace. They do Xmas right! And some very good restaurants.

Paul & Peter - Alsace/Strausbourg sound great. Any hotel and food recs. Thanks

I don’t remember where we stayed in Strassbourg but we’ve never stayed more than one night. We then usually head south about an hour to the heart of Alsace wine country. We stay at Hotel Kanzel in Beblenheim. They have a really nice full-blown breakfast included in the rate but the best amenity is they have a driver that will drop you off at restaurants for dinner and then pick you up and drive you back. You don’t have to worry about drinking and driving. Last time we were there was Xmas season 2011 so hopefully it hasn’t changed.

A couple of years ago we stayed at Cour du Corbeau, which is a new hotel constructed inside a 16th century building. We liked it quite a bit and would happily return.

http://www.cour-corbeau.com/site/

I stay with friends in Alsace so I have no hotel recs. For food, however, there is the estimable L’Auberge de L’lll in Illhaeusern, which is less than an hour south of Strasbourg. Have an aperitif on the patio overlooking the River Ill, then retreat to the dining room to indulge in a menu that features Alsatian classics as well as more creative cooking executed by the third generation of the Haeberlin family. Service is impeccable and the wine list leans heavily on the wines of the region.

Thank all of you for the info. And thanks LORI for starting the thread.