Where Should I Go?

Weekend of July 24-27th? Wife and I. Cheap flights and hotel with the intention of good eats? Based out of NJ (EWR) but willing to fly out of LGA or JFK

Montreal or Los Angeles.

If you’re only going for a few days, I wouldn’t fly too far from home.

My recs: Montreal, Toronto or Chicago. Chicago’s restaurant scene is as good or better than any city in the country not named New York.

Quebec is nice this time of year.

I also vote for Montreal. Good eats, and if going, make sure to declare a few bottles for byob when crossing the border.

Montreal a good one, though flights are pricey. Food is great though I wasn’t too enchanted by the city last July. At least it was 10 degrees cooler than NY (which was 100+ at the time).

Portland ME might have cheaper flights. Jetblue also flies to some random other locations - Nantucket, cape cod, etc - might find something in there.

I’ll join in the Montreal chorus. Had a very nice eating and drinking binge there recently: eating and drinking in Canada - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

You want to eat… come to Chicago. It is a beautiful time of year here. Tons of restaurants and nothing going on in the city that weekend convention wise so hotel rooms should not be too expensive. Lots of flights to choose from.
In fact if you have the right credit card there are some buy 2 get 1 free nights available at the 5star hotels which can make staying there really affordable.

Plus you have all the Chicagoans on the board to give you great advice. [cheers.gif]

George

Both Burlington, VT. and Montreal.

so where did you go?

it’s not for another 2 weeks… :wink:

Paris. You only live once! If I lived on the east coast Id be there often.

London. One hour longer than flying to LA; infinitely more interesting with infinitely better food.

Why would you ever leave Newark? [shrug.gif]

pileon

Montreal can be quite warm and muggy in the summer. Quebec is much cooler, and much less like NYC. And there are many areas around there that are really nice such as Baie St. Paul.

It’s unbelievable how expensive airline travel is these days. Couldn’t find tix to Chicago, Montreal, Quebec City, Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Charleston, or Los Angeles for under $500/ticket. Probably gonna go to the beach instead.

Lots of flights on 7/24 leaving LGA or JFK for Chicago for < $200.

Leaving Chicago on Southwest, loads of flights to EWR for $201 and one time (10:05am) is $188. American flies to LGA for $201.

So you can piece together a route for $400, which is a bit high, but pretty reasonable IMO.

If you have any miles (american, chase, amex, etc) you can easily get to chicago on them. Can’t get back Sunday, though early monday am plenty of seats.

AA weekend sale - if you can do sat-tues instead of thursday-sunday, montreal is only $270

Prices seem to jump about a month out and then keep climbing as it gets closer to your date of departure.

15k BA miles to fly LGA-ORD on AA. Doesn’t everyone have BA miles?