Restauran Recs in Providence RI or Near Yale University

Doing some college visits next month. Wondering if there are any not to miss places to eat and have a bottle of wine in Providence, RI or near Yale. We are flying out of Bradley the next morning after the Yale visit so don’t want to head towards NYC.

Thanks,

George

We had lunch after the Yale tour at http://www.louislunch.com which claims to be the birthplace of the hamburger. Not fancy nor do they have wine but a fun little place with some history

Steve - Thanks. How did you like Yale?

George

Was nicer than I expected after hearing things about New Haven. They did a first rate job with the admissions seminar and the tour. I thought we got a real good feel for the environment. We left thinking they cared which was not the case at all top universities. Ended up being on my daughter’ top list but she did not end up going there.

If you won’t mind the very casual ambiance (they’re a pizza places, after all) and the wait lines, and if you like good pizza, then you should go to Sally’s or Pepe’s. Both are in New Haven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally’s_Apizza

Providence RI. All of the following restaurants are spectacular.

Chez Pascal - Lunch or Dinner
Gracies- Dinner
Al Forno- Dinner
Nicks on Broadway- Lunch or Dinner
New Rivers Bistro- Lunch or Dinner
The hot club- Bar on the water.

We had a nice meal at Julian’s in Providence. Uber-funky, but good farm-to-table food. I think they are more of a beer place, however. You really do need to see the decor in the bathroom, at least if you are a Star Wars fan…

Miya sushi in New Haven is great and very different. Definitely not for the purist Lots of weird rolls, environmental slant (sustainable and invasive fishes are featured). All very good, but definitely not traditional.

Caseus is a fun cheese-centered restaurant as well.

Julian’s is good for brunch. I still give the nod to Nicks on Broadways especially since its down the street.

New Haven, for me, is a special place for its pizza history: long and emotional. Though Sallies/Pepe’s get most of the press, Modern Apizza is the one I like best…and the one that local polls says the locals favor most. There are other places, too…(“Bar” a brewery that sells pizza and salad is one; I was ther yesterday on the drive to Maine…it’s ok, but…doesn’t rival the other three.) But…if you like to check out local specialities…pizza is that for New Haven…almost its own style in fact.

Steve…so where did she end up going? (There were lots of tours going on yesterday on the streets near Yale.)

1 Like

Love the white clam pizza at Pepe’s. The mash potato and bacon pizza at Bar is excellent. I went there and then ate at louis lunch. The hamburger at louis lunch might have history but it’s pretty much a burger on two slices of wonder bread. :slight_smile:

Clam pie there is the best…and the only pie i really like with their cardboard-textured crust. I’ve heard good things about the mashed potato pie, but I am a pizza purist, and though I 've been there three times, haven’t gotten it. Louis is …well…not that good…pretty much as you describe, except I think of it as more mini-meatloaf.

thought id revise this to mention a great meal I had in Providence last night at Oberlin. portions were fair, heavy focus on produce. great quality seafood.
highly recommended.

Came here to say this

Al Forno in Providence was doing the farm to table thing before there was a term for it. Best to check recent reviews however since I haven’t been there in ages.

Also, I see you’re from the midwest. If you are looking for excellent seafood, Hemenway’s in Providence is for high quality seafood but not haut cuisine if that is what you are looking for.

We spent the weekend in Providence because my wife wanted to see WaterFire. It was worth it. Very hard to describe, but it’s a special experience. Highly recommended.

Also, the museum at RISD is terrific. Far exceeded my expectations.
https://risdmuseum.org/

I enjoy Persimmon, particurarly the pasta for fine dining and second Julians for brunch