Where to go in Europe

Yes, I know there are. Bazillion answers to this question but let me lay down some ground rules.

Going in early august
3 nights 4 days only
Prefer to be reasonably close to Barcelona (work awards trip is in BS)

Looked into Monte Carlo, but at 900 euro a night for a room I just don’t see the value.

Have been to Italy so that’s out

That’s the guidelines… Any and everything else is viable!

Information and insight much appreciated

For wine? or just for tourism?

For chilling - Seville.

Anything is open… Wine, chill, eat, whatever

If you’re willing to fly, all of Europe is ~2 hrs away… so that’s a reallllly open question…

Personally, i’d go to Seville for food/chill, Bordeaux for wine, or headup to Norway to cruise the Fjords… (altho 4 days is a bit short)…

World (well Europe at least) at your feet… :slight_smile:

Barca is pretty hot in August. And all of Southern Spain will be full of other Europeans. If you want to stay nearby, consider Mallorca and the other Balarics. Or head north to Copenhagen, Stockholm, etc.

Another option if you’d still like to see Monte Carlo is to find another hotel along the Côte d’Azur … Nice, Cannes, Aix en Provence, etc… there’s a fabulous train line that’s cheap and easy that runs through all the cities and towns along the coast… very inexpensive (like riding the subway, only cleaner and with better views). We stayed in Cannes for a week a few years ago – and each day took the train to a new location: including Monaco and Nice (no more than a 45 minute train ride). I have no idea what hotel prices are in those other cities, so apologizes if they’re equivalent to Monaco.

you can get a inexpensive b&b for 100 euros i think.

Burgundy

San Sebastian, Galicia, places along the Atlantic coast of Spain. Southern Spain, Southern France, the Balerics, will be full of tourists crowding the beaches. If you like hot weather, and if crowds are your scene, then go ahead. But northern Spain will be less crowded and cooler.

Sorry for delayed response and thanks to everyone’s input!

Went ahead and booked the French Riv… At the end of the day it’s a place we have really wanted to go to and it’s just beautiful! Staying a great boutique hotel with private beach and just a short jog to Cannes…

Anyone have any “must do” while we are there? Plan on getting a car so we can wander the areas.

Go to the market in Nice.

We will be in Cassis for a week exploring the Cote d’Azur, Bandol, Marseille to Antibes. Markets, beaches and roses wine sound perfect!

This would be my answer having just returned from a few weeks on the San Sebastian/Galicia/Poirto trail. The Galician coast is just stunning, temperature fresher and with far fewer tourists.

Edit; Saw you’ve already booked.