May 15' Honeymoon, France

Was hoping I could get some help planning a honeymoon in France… So far our itinerary is looking like 16 days total… Well start off in the region of champagne for a couple of days (have two hotels in mind so far)… Spend about 3-4 days there… possibly make a day trip to Paris to see some things I missed last time I was there… then we were thinking 4-5 days in Burgundy (have a couple hotels in mind)… I think might stay in either Gevrey or Puligny… then my fiancé is requesting that we stay the rest of the trip on the beach somewhere… so this is where I need help… planning her part of the trip… My part is the wine tasting half and hers the sitting on the beach and drinking cocktails…

so anybody have some locations in mind? Doesn’t need to be in a wine making region (though if there is something in the Languedoc region that is kick ass I can consider it [cheers.gif] )… I have been to Nice, Cannes, Monico & Antibes in the past when I did my wild two-month backpacking trip when I graduated from college many years ago…
I wouldn’t mind going back but figured it would be nice to see somewhere new… I wouldn’t mind traveling to Italy either if there are some great opportunities for soaking in some sunlight…

one thing, I would hope that whichever location we chose that there would be a good nightlife… were not party animals but it would be nice to have some options if the weather didn’t cooperate… It would suck to be on a beach resort with nothing for 45 miles and have a crappy rainy day and stranded in doors… so ya, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated… I’m usually pretty good about planning vacations but have noticed there are tons of travelers here so thought I would ask…

thanks again…

Ibiza… :slight_smile:

Greek islands for a week?

May is still kinda cold - gotta go south…

mark,

good point! Ya I might start looking into Spain…

We stayed 5 days in Paris at L’Hotel for our honeymoon (http://www.l-hotel.com)

It is an amazingly charming hotel with a nice 1* restaurant and a great private hammam under ground.

Paris in May should be wonderful so I would stay there for 4-5 days. Pleanty to see and do and Ear and drink :slight_smile:

Would also recommend going South for the beach week. Southern part of Crete is normally quite nice in May.

Interesting I am going to be on my honeymoon in France during that same period.

Like both of these ideas.

The weather can be fine on the Cote d’Azur during the end of May. Best part is that the tourists are there yet. But remember that the Cannes Film Festival takes over the town during the end of May.

In Italy, one place I’d consider is Venice. Very romantic, lots to do (or not do), a beach on the Lido (although the temps may not be warm enough on the Adriatic side. Warmer would be the Amalfi (breathtaking), although the beaches are more stony than sandy.

All good ideas. Lots of places in Greece. Look at southern Portugal also. Some great beach towns/resorts and it would allow a day trip in to southern Spain -Seville etc. The island of Madeira might work for you also. I would agree with David on Amalfi… some great beaches, restaurants and quite beautiful although the Med will be pretty cool for swimming at that time of year. Ravello although not on the beach is VERY Romantic. Not a huge fan of Venice.

George

The Montpellier area of France would seem to fit the “beach” and other criteria. Lovely Mediterannean beaches nearby. Wine regions all a nice, interesting drive and will be a lot easier than in the past, with GPS. Montpellier is a wonderful city…a university town…and a cultural center. Lots of historical stuff, too…at Nimes…and…the Camargue is very near by, too.

We have spent many happy summer (and winter) weeks beaching and otherwise enjoying the region’s diversity over the last 30 years. And…it’s much less touristy than the other places you’ve listed.

Good luck.

Greek Islands are still cool/cold and can be very windy in May. Mykonos is the party/nightlife island. Go mid-late June if you can. We returned home yesterday.