Help planning first trip to France

My wife and I are planning our first trip to France this Fall (9/28 - 10/6). We will be flying in and out of Paris, but the planning of this trip is in its infancy. I would greatly appreciate any advice on creating a travel itinerary. I am thinking of 3-5 days in Paris and making 1-2 day trips to one or two other locales. Neither of us speak French. We would prefer boutique hotels with access to a mix of fine restaurants and local cafes. Any specific hotel/restaurant advice also appreciated.
Links to prior trip reports also appreciated.
Thanks
Jan

9/28 - depart US
9/29 - arrive in Paris mid day. get to hotel. rest - Do a river cruise is apparently a good ‘jetlag’ time killer
9/30, 10/1, 10/2 - 3 full days in paris if it’s your first time
10/3 - a day to Versaille is kinda required… although may want to do this in the middle of your paris days to break up "paris’ time
10/4 - Rent a car - drive to Reims (champagne) - taste some bubbly /visit some champ houses
10/5 - Drive around Epernay (more champagne). evening back to paris airport hotel and return car.
10/6 - flight home, arrive home same day.

You can substitute a number of places for the 2 days to Reims… (Euro disney if you have kids?) but first time to Paris, i would devote most of your days there…

One thing I would strongly consider is renting an apartment rather than staying in a hotel. Particularly if you’re concentrating on Paris, which I think is a good idea, and taking day trips from there.

Thanks for the help. It will be just my wife and I traveling, so thankfully, no EuroDisney required!
I was thinking of 1-2 days in Reims as well. Is it recommended to rent a car and drive to Reims vs. train?

Jan,

Jules and I went to France for the first time last year. Neither of us speak much of the language and we had no problem. Folks were great and even in smaller towns where people spoke no english, they were friendly and helpful.

What things about France are on your “Bucket list”

Jan - we just got back. DEFINITELY rent the car from Paris - there’s almost no other way. See my recent thread for many of the same questions, answered…

Of course I’m happy to help with any specifics as you need! Wish we could meet up at your cabin and discuss :wink:

THIS. You’re there long enough that it’s worth it: for the same money you’ll get 2-4x more space, a kitchen and feel like you have an actual “home”. As for Reims, I would suggest taking the TGV and renting a car from there, but the drive from Paris is nice too.

For a first time in Paris, I would suggest you bring good walking shoes and just explore the city by foot. It’s a great walking city, and the Metro, bus and bike-sharing systems can get you around pretty rapidly. If you do the Louvre, be sure to map out what you want to see before heading there or you’ll get lost and waste time wandering through the countless halls.

As for the language, as long as you smile and say “Bonjour” whenever you enter a store/boutique/restaurant, you’ll be fine (it is a more formal society so the first greeting is very important and sets the tone for the rest of the conversation).

Weather-wise, it’s a great time of year, BTW.

Paris to Bordeaux by hi-speed train. Call ahead ASAP to book at different Chateaux (any friends ITB or other to open doors ?), a few days in Bordeaux . Rental Car or Limo in Bordeaux, train back to Paris , at least 3 days to see sights in Paris , don’t miss Versailles , more if you have time, Train to Strasbourg- better & less expensive foods.
Language- very little problem-smile, but not too much.

Thanks again for the helpful advice. I just started thinking about making this happen a few days ago. Original plans were a medical conference in Hawaii for that week, but I will be attending another CME conference earlier in the month. Since we have the grandparents flying out for babysitting, why not travel to France??
I haven’t done any research as yet, just wanted to get some ideas about itineraries, can’t miss spots, great restaurants, etc.

Chris - No bucket list at this point, just want a pleasant, romantic getaway with great food/wine without feeling to rushed.
Todd - Would love to have that discussion at the cabin! Just finished the wine cellar in our Appleton house. Let me know next time you are in town and we’ll have you over - it’s been too long! I will read the recap of your recent trip. I’m sure that it will be helpful.

Duplicate.

Don’t agree about the apartment especially for the length of time you are spending in Paris. I wouldn’t do the apartment unless I was there for a very long stay. I did it once for an eight night stay and wound up checking into a hotel after a few nights. The apartment was perfectly fine, but if you want services and amenities while in Paris for a few days, stay at a hotel.
Also, if you decide on going to Champagne/Reims from Paris, I would not even consider renting a car and driving. The TGV is much faster with much less hassle.

Reims - yes… but if you were to stay overnight and head to Epernay do you not need a car?
I’ve not been but from my research, it seems like it’s much easier to have a car to get to Epernay from Reims than to take the bus/etc…?

plus return can be straight to the airport to drop off car and stay at an airport hotel.
usually flights back to the US are 8amish…

I would take taxis or have a driver to get around in Champagne. Not a fan of drinking and driving. Also, I always come back to Paris at least day or two before heading back to the US.

If you want a lot of personal attention then the top hotels may be the right thing for you. I’ve stayed in both apartments and hotels for 1 week trips and greatly prefer apartments. Just depends on what you’re looking for and how you want to spend your time. Also, if you’re going to hire a driver to tour Champagne you can just do that in Paris and skip the train. It’s not a bad way to go.

Jan,

I’d recommend staying in Paris all 6.5 days, since it’s your first trip there. You’ll arrive sometime on the 29th after an all night flight, so that first day isn’t really a full day in Paris. On the day you depart, you’ll wake up early and head right to the airport. Paris is absolutely the most amazing urban experience. You’ll already be planning your next trip there before you leave. Wait until next time to venture out to the Loire, Normandy, Brittany, Champagne or Burgundy. Bordeaux is way too far, you’ll lose a day just going there and back. Same with Alsace, Lyon, the Rhone, Provence or the Cote d’Azur. You could spend months driving around France, it’s such a beautiful, rural country. Versailles is so close to Paris, it’s worth leaving the city for a few hours, but I predict you’ll find yourself entirely immersed in the City of Light.

Just my 2 centimes. Have an excellent trip!

I kinda agree with Ed

+1 to what Ed said. We just came back from a week there, which was just 20 months after our very first trip. What he said about planning your next trip while you are there on the first trip holds very true.

The first trip, we did the boutique hotel and enjoyed it very much. This time, we rented a perfectly located apartment in the 6th, with a beautiful balcony, AC and a (very rare in Europe) king bed, and much preferred the flexibility (and lower cost) of the apartment. We were considering a trip to Reims, but waited too long to get seats on the TGV, so passed. No loss— any day in Paris is heaven.

I agree with those who recommend that you limit your trip to Paris and, as a first time visitor, stay in a centrally located hotel with a competent concierge. The concierge can make your visit much more efficient. When we stay for a month, we rent an apartment. For shorter periods, we stay in a hotel.

Left Paris 2 days ago. I would rent an apartment, we did for 6 nights and it was great. Hotels can be so expensive the apartment is a much more reasonable way to go. We were right in St Germain which was a perfect location as we walked everywhere. I understand the desire to want to get out of the city, I thought the same thing. With that short time going outside of Paris it won’t be necessary there is SO much to do and see in Paris. Dining is the easiest part there are so many great choices. Couple of highlights for us were L’Atelier De Joel Rubuchon and Le Comptoir Relais. The big Michelin starred restaurants are VERY expensive for dinner so look at lunch as an option. There are Cafes everywhere that all serve good food and good wine.

Language is not an issue although IMO it is very important to say Bonjour, Merci, Si vous plas etc. Try to speak any French you know and they seem to appreciate it.

George

I’m in complete agreement. There is so much to see and do (and eat and drink) in Paris that it really can’t be done in 3-4 days on your first trip. I also agree with the people who say get a hotel room instead of an apartment. I’ve done both and would choose a hotel every time unless I was with my kids. Extra space? Hopefully you are out exploring the entire time and the space really won’t matter.