Question- chartered yacht cruises BVI

Looks like we’ll be doing a catamaran trip in the USVI the second week in November. Part of an awards trip(my GFs). Will be sailing with http://trade-winds.com. Like everything- looks pretty fun on the website.

I guess its 3-4 other couples, with 10 being the max.

Leaves on a Saturday evening- so was thinking about getting to St Thomas on Friday. So suggestions on a hotel there would be great. Will be doing the same thing on the way back- staying in St Thomas Saturday night for a Sunday departure back to Chicago.

Anyone do one of these?? I am a certified diver, my GF is not, so diving will be maybe just one day.

We stay at the Marriott Frenchman’s reef or the Ritz Carlton when we transition through STT. STT is not my favorite island. The Ritz is great but the rates can be stupid expensive. Make sure to by trip insurance as it is still technically Hurricane season especially if you are going early in the month. I like the diving off of Norman Island some of the diving is good some is just OK will be weather dependent.

George

George - Thanks

We are flying into St Thomas. The yacht/catamaran leaves from Tortola BVI Saturday early evening. So a one night in St Thomas, just looking for a decent place to lay our heads Friday night, hang a bit Saturday before heading to the BVIs.

Cannot wait to snorkle the Baths again!!!

Jay-

I can’t help much for St Thomas, but some things to try to hit on your trip; We just returned from a 16 day trip to the BVI. 3 days on a mono charter then 13 days in a villa above the North Sound on VG. Virgin Gorda is my new favorite Caribbean island…the beaches are desolate (except for the Baths) go to Spring Bay instead just north of the Baths. Actually Mahoe was our fav, along w Savannah and Little Dix. We did a day trip to Anegada and snorkeled a Loblolly Bay and had about a 3 lb Anegada lobster for lunch. Hog Heaven has decent food and killer views. When we were on the boat we moored in Cane Garden Bay one night and Norman the next. The Indians and Caves snorkel sights on Norman are not to be missed. Don’t forget to jump off the Willy T….my wife wouldn’t do it, but I said “ you never know when you may get hit by a bus” ….luckily for all of the innocent bystanders I did keep my shorty’s on! The Pirates restaurant on the other side of the Bight from the Willy T was pretty good as well. If your itinerary does take you up to the North Sound, try to get to Saba Rock…the views from the newer deck on the north side are killer. I wish I knew how to post pics…… Some of this information may have actually come from George H about a year ago when I was planning this trip…thanks George!

You’re sailing the BVI, correct? Departing out of Roadtown? Awesome experience.

We stayed at a completely unimpressive hotel in Roadtown but allowed us to goof around the night before we barefooted the BVI. That way you’re not taking the ferry over then jumping right onto your boat. We landed in St. Thomas and headed straight to the ferry.

We hit up Peter, Norman, Virgin Gorda, Marina, and Jost Von Dyke. Best trip ever and top of the list for revisit. Watch out for pirates!

Chris, they allow people to jump off the Willy T again?

When we were there it was an automatic ejection.

Brig-

Thanks!! Looks like we will be doing something very similiar to what you did. We are sailing with Trade-Winds. Leave out of Nanny Cay Marina. They mention many of the places you did as stops- Cooper Island, The Baths, Bitter End YC, Jost Van Dyke(Foxys), Norman Island(and Willy T’s).

Our flight times are tight- so thats why we are getting there a day early- staying in St Thomas for a night- then heading on the ferry to Roadtown. We are also staying an extra day Saturday after the morning of departure. We have an afternoon flight out of St Thomas on Sunday.

I have been to BVI before- stayed at Little Dix Bay- was a great trip.

Can’t wait!!

I think they shut it down at some point because someone hurt themselves (drunk?), but there were 10 or so people jumping off when I did and no one seemed to mind.

I’m of minimal assistance, but STT is a dump and I would do everything you can to get a ferry over to Tortola and grab a place there on the way down. But, I understand your schedule may not allow it.

Having said that, I wouldn’t chance that on the way back - definitely stay in STT to make sure you’re not dependent on the ferry running on time.

STT gets an unfair representation by many people as some of the areas are not very nice. Especially if you are driving from the airport to the Ferry. It is not St John or Virgin Gorda but has some beautiful areas and great beaches. The Ritz Carlton is one of the best I have stayed in and I have stayed in many.

George

I am going to stay at the Marriot. I’m not the baller George is, so the Ritz is out…

Our flight gets in to St Thomas at 340- last ferry is at 430, so will be staying in STT Friday and catch the ferry Saturday around noon for our 5pm departure.

Really looking forward to this!

A day trip to Peter Island should be part of your trip. The BVI limits the size of day cruises I believe to a few couples. We did a day sail from Peter and it was awesome. Lots of little coves and secluded beaches you can get to and depending on time of year you may not see anyone else there.

Mike

I think that is one of our stops. There will be 4 other couples on the cat- 10 total with 2 crew.

We did this type of trip a few years ago. St Thomas is meh. Nothing special. Tortola isn’t much better. All the fun in the area is in the sailing, the islands and the snorkeling. One of the better dinner spots is the Bitter End Yacht club on Virgin Gorda. It is a little bit of civilization when you are out on the water. It can be a fun trip depending on what you make of it.

Michael- everyone I have spoken to said the trip was amazing. Can’t tell if you enjoyed it or not??

I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t go back to St Thomas or Tortorla unless it was to do another sailing trip. They are small tourist towns geared more toward the cruise ship crowds. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks Michael

Jay needs some help. Please help out if possible. Got this email today.

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Turkey for Tour… The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables we had. Now, our passport is in custody of the hotel management pending when we make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a short term loan from you ($2,100). this will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest.

Thank you,

Jay

It seems Jay’s ability to communicate with proper grammar was also stolen. Poor Jay!

George

I just sent Jay $2100 via western union, he’s stranded in Turkey [wow.gif]