Philadelphia, PA Area Tasting Group?

New to this forum, so… hi!

I am currently a CSW and a FWS now going for my Level 3 WSET Award. Sadly, monetary restrictions rarely allow me to buy many of the $60+ bottles of wine that I would like to try to educate my palate further. With my background I can help lead tastings and give all the knowledge I can, and also suggest the wines for each tasting within a theme typical of a region/style. I am also open to any suggestions for wine tastings anyone else has. I figure with a group in the area we can split the costs and also have great discussions to build our knowledge. I have a passion that few in my circle of friends share, so it would be a great opportunity for me.

I would be interested in at home tastings or BYO restaurant tastings in and around the Philly area. I am from Bucks County, just northeast of the city.

I’m interested and will post a couple of specific dinner themes over the next day or so.

Thanks, Dave. I look forward to it.

I’ve posted a couple of offlines, May 8, at Charcoal, in Yardley, and May 20, at Hamilton’s Grill Room, in Lambertville. At both dinners, I’m hoping for parties of six, and I’ve proposed wine themes that should not be problematic for anyone who participates on this site.

DaveK- I willl try to make one of these if my schedule permits!

Justink - I am studying for the intro/certified somm classes and looking to get a study tasting group going as well. Keep me in mind.

Anders D, I will. and please do the same for me. I don’t have anything concrete on getting a group together, I just started asking around…so hopefully something can happen to taste wines in an educational scenario.

DaveK, This sounds good. I’ll check my schedule to make sure I’m free for it, and I’ll start thinking of a wine to bring. The themes you picked sound good.

Hey guys, I think it was mentioned in the other thread, but you should check out Rob Panzer’s dinner tastings in Philly. He does them regularly at local BYOBs like Bistro 7, featuring individual producers that he carries. Top notch wines. Although he much prefers it if you actually buy his wines afterwards, so I don’t attend much (no more space in the cellar!). There is a discount for those attending the dinners and his prices are very good to start with.

There’s a good contingent of WineBerserkers in the Philly area, taking advantage of all our great BYOBs (see the “Philadelphia, PA” thread under “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants” on this site). However, the various groups mostly seem to organize things off-line by e-mail, rather than on WBs. It just takes a while to get to know who’s who and get invited to these things. I’ll try to let you know if there’s something coming up… Mostly very informal, non-blind, thematic wine dinners, however, so maybe not what you are looking for.

Looking forward to drinking together… [cheers.gif]