RE: Blind Tasting Group - Long Beach / Signal Hill @ Delius Restaurant - Monday 3/24

Time to get our tasting group back on track after a bit of a hiatus over the winter months. Monday 3/24 is the scheduled date for our next blind tasting at Delius.

I will be contacting the restaurant on Friday, 3/21 to give them a semi-final headcount.

Place: Delius Restaurant, 2951 Cherry Ave Signal Hill, CA 90755
Time: Monday, March 21, Arrive 6:15 or later
Theme: Australian Shiraz vs. California Syrah
Cost: Whatever you order off the menu. The restaurant gives us their private dining room and waives corkage so ordering a minimum of $25 would be good form.

Bring one bottle per person of the theme, (wine value $30 or more unless you have a value wine that rocks), a brown paper bag, and any sidebars you feel like sharing. The restaurant has glassware, which I’d call pinot-shaped, but definitely don’t hesitate to bring your favorite glasses.

Come as early as 6:15 for the happy hour menu and to break the ice over a few sidebars. We’ll start the tasting after everyone arrives at 7PM.

Text me by Friday before the date, or later if your plans change.

Cheers!

Bert
310-901-0311

I’m a for sure…Lisa is a maybe…will let you know about her shortly…

Marla and I are in.

Great! So far we have 11 confirmed.

Hi Bert,

Good to hear this is back on!

I’m in, I’m sure Anthony and Aileen are too. He’s out of town right now but I’ll confirm with him tomorrow.

Hopefully I don’t have a baseball practice that day, field time for next week hasn’t been released yet.

Hi Joel! Yes…been way too long. Glad you’ll be there. Let me know when you confirm with Anthony!

Hi Bert,
I am looking forward to attend the event. Thank you for organizing one of the best tastings for us.
cheers!
Julie

Do you want to know what country people are bringing via PM or just be surprised?

100% blind Arnie. Bring your bottle in a brown paper bag, Bert’s wife will number it and we all pass it around. At the end of the night, the bags come off and we all realize just how wrong we are.

… and you pray that you don’t have a moment like me, where they hold up the covered bottle and you exclaim “This was my worst of the night” and it is revealed to be the very bottle you brought.

You can surprise me , Arnie though I’m expecting you’ll bring your 2013 WOTY:
2005 Saxum James Berry Rocket Block given your generous nature.

Update at bottom.

[snort.gif]

Well that seems like a non-blind approach, PLUS it would not allow me to bring my favorite week of Yellow Tail.

My thought was that we (you) might want to try and balance the number of bottles from each country as much as possible so it would be a “fair fight” .

You’ve got a good point… when we did the Oregon v California Pinot, I thought we’d have way more CA than OR, but it all evened out. I usually bring 2 of each and ask people what they brought when they arrive. Then alter my two based on what I’m seeing.

17! That’s a good amount. Glad to hear this has legs, even on short notice.

See you Monday Bert… and Arnie.

We have 19 confirmed tasters… 1 oz ours and don’t drink everything… make sure to bring your paper bags and glassware!

Remember Bert is a BIG re taster

[snort.gif]

Final count - 20 and 1 designated driver - We are full!

Bert and Erin
Arnie and Lisa
Joel and son
Anthony and Aileen
Jan and Steve
David and Marla
Brian and Wendy
Anand
Charles (and Anita?)
Paolo
Rob
Julie
Carl

Great night…thanks again to Erin and you for hosting all of us.

Perhaps we need a German night to offset tonight’s alcohol level?

[cheers.gif]

Fun time last night.

Even my son raved about what a great time he had!

Great wines, great conversation…

Big thanks to the group for making it a great time! I’ll post the wine list and results by tomorrow I’m hoping.