Californians with any connection to Rhode Island?

A friend of mine and I are organizing the First Annual Silicon Valley Rhode Island Fest. This will be an extremely informal lunchtime gathering at a BBQ place in Campbell, CA (near San Jose) for anyone who has any connection past or present with Rhode Island. You will not be cross-examined on the extent of your connection [lol]. We have been linking up with agencies in RI and we hope it becomes an annual event.

There is a facebook page to sign up. Find it and sign up there, or PM me and I’ll send you the link.

Place: Little Lou’s BBQ, Winchester Ave., Campbell (owner is a big Red Sox fan)

Date and time: Saturday April 26 around 12:00 or 12:30 (when the Red Sox-Blue Jays game will be on the big screen)

Cost: The food you order. We may ask for an additional $10 donation via a jar for a Rhode Island charity (we’re thinking Jimmy Fund for pediatric cancer).

Invited: Anyone with a connection to RI

Wine: I will have a table with some free wine to drink. Maybe a separate section of the restaurant where the cost to taste is to bring a bottle. Maybe not.

I don’t think I ever anticipated such an event. I mean, Rhode Islanders hardly ever travel further than a couple of miles in either direction, much less California! :wink:

My wife and I knew our way around Pawtucket pretty well, and when out for dinner, we would never bad mouth Buddy Cianci. No sireeee!

I dated a girl from Rhode Island. Once. But it was actually in Rhode Island. Does that count?

I do not like the Boston Red Sox. Since RI is but a suburb of Boston, does that count?

It all counts.

What Rick said is very true. Rhode Islander: “My daughter moved away and now I never see her anymore.” “Where’d she move to?” “Two towns away!”

My company has a sales office in Rhode Island. I guess I can qualify.
Are you based in the bay area George? We have a bay area offline dinner going every month or so.

Yes! San Jose/Los Gatos.

When we were kids growing up in CT we drove through Rhode Island once. I think it took more than an hour, but I was probably eight at the time.

Nice place to be from.

My brother in law is from RI… He’s lived here in SoCal for 30 years. He definitely sounds like a standard person from California… BUT, when his old friends from RI are around, I can’t understand a word they’re saying. God, that accent just rolls back like 2nd nature.

Nothing really to add to the conversation, this just reminded me of that. My sister laughs like crazy at the transformation.

Do the F bombs come out? That’s part of southeast New England lingo.

George, is this on?

It’s on!! Little Lou’s BBQ on Winchester Ave. in Campbell this Saturday!!

Thanks, George. That was fun.

Great to meet you, Craig!