Chicago OL 12/15?

I’ll be in Chicago the night of 12/15, looking to pull some folks together! The two themes being bandied are:

•Pre-2000 La La’s

•Top Cali Cults, head to head 2001 vs 2002. This would work if we narrow the list to a few that were considered exceptional in both years and are able to taste from both vintages.

But any thoughts appreciated!

John Chapman

I’m in as previously discussed. Both themes sound exciting!

Wow. This sounds like it will be impressive. Would love to participate but the subject matter is a little out of my league as a newbie. But, I am excited to see pictures and read notes.

I may be hosting an event for work that night, still tbd. If not, I would be in for the La La theme. I’ll check back in soon.

Been a while Jordan, it would be great to see you!

Any more interest?

I am still interested. Perhaps open the theme up a bit more broadly. A few folks were interested but felt that several themes were a bit to pricy and difficult for sourcing.

I might be interested. My only issue is that the last two times I’ve said I’d go to an offline, I’ve had a last minute work-related commitment come up.
I’ve never been to an offline so I’m curious.

Ultimately I’m happy doing whatever–I’ll be in town in any case. I will PM a few guys as well. Alejandra, in the off chance that this could become your first offline…what’s your interest in pouring?

Let me know what everyone decides on. If the theme ends up being within my reach, I would like to participate.

To get ball rolling, here are some bottles I would be interested in bringing for the betterment of mankind

• Upper end (but not cult) CA Cabs from the 1990’s ('97 Fisher Wedding, Dunn Howell any year from mid-90’s, '96 Dalla Valle, etc.)

• Northen or Southern Rhones from classic vintages in the '70s, '80s and '90s ('89 Jaboulet La Chapelle, '90 Mont Olivet CdP Cuvee Papet, '98 Dom Mordoree CdP Reine des Bois)

• Various Italian ('98 Giacosa Falletto, '02 Dal Forno Valpollicella, Il Carnasciale Caberlot)

• Various Spanish (Alion or Valbuena from early 2000s)

Come on folks, toss out some ideas and let’s see what we can come up with…

OK Mark, good ideas…

If you bring a 98 Falletto, I will bring a 96…

If you bring a 89 La Chapelle, I will bring a 90…

I’d be happy to have others join in around either of these, no worries that all the wines need to be blockbusters, let’s just have a fun night.

I am heading out to Knightsbridge on Sunday for the Hospices tasting and will see if I can find something appropriate there. If any other Chicago people will be at the tasting shoot be a PM so I can introduce myself.

I’m leaning towards the '89 La Chapelle as '98 Giacosa is in magnum and wife can’t make it.

Let’s land on Hermitage, preference to 1898 / 1990 vintages…

Mark will bring 1989 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle
I will bring 1990 La Chapelle

Others?

I am looking to source something. I should know better tomorrow. Cant say for sure it will be Hermitage. But, I should have a few options for 80s and 90s Rhones.

So, I have access to 1998 of:

Beaucastel
Vieux Telegraphe
La Nerthe Cuvee des Cadettes

Would either of these three be of interest? If so, I will pick one up and you can count me in.

Glad you can join in the fun! Any of the three would be fine with me.

Jimmy I just replied to your PM, I didn’t see you had posted.

Here are some suggestions for places to go:

Acquitane: corkage is $15 per bottle, but they would likely agree to a cap/deal, nice atmosphere, good food. Middle of Lincoln Park, so not that easy from O’Hare area. URL: http://www.aquitainerestaurant.com/

Kiki’s Bistro: several of us went there the previous year for Burgundy offline. Food would pair well with the theme. Located in Gold Coast and close to Highway or subway. Excellent service and reasonable corkage. URL: http://kikisbistro.com/

Brown Trout: located in North Center-Lincoln Square, fairly easy to access from O’Hare. No corkage on wines > 10 yr. Good food and fairly good to match with theme. URL: http://www.browntroutchicago.com/Menu.html

Goosefoot: new, Chris Nugent (former head chef of Les Nomades). Only option is $90 prix fixe, but would likely go well with Rhone wines. It is relatively east to access from O’Hare. Completely BYO.URL: http://www.goosefoot.net/