Chicago downtown Offline - Tuesday May 16, 2017

I’ll be in Chicago on Tuesday May 16th. Anyone interested in joining me for dinner at a corkage friendly place in the downtown area? This can be fancy or down and dirty. I don’t have a preference.

The theme is Board member wines. Other than that, bring what you want. Vintage is up to you. Since my cellar is top heavy in California Cabs, that’s what I’ll bring. Oldtimers and new Berserkers are welcome to join me/us. Minimum buy in for offline Rookies is $30.

Restaurant suggestions?

Are you in?

Dan H. 2012 Myriad Cab
R. Smith

I would like to join, but may have to travel for work. Will confirm closer to the date.

Not a “board member wine” but I could bring a Joseph Swan or two. If we want to stay strict to board member wines, I will prob go Rivers Marie pinot/chard. My cellar is largely pinot/chardonnay, with a bit more sparkling mixed in.

That’s works too. Since I have no integrity, bring what you want to drink/share.

Keep me in the loop (no pun intended).

That sounds great! I’m in!

There’s a chance that I’m out of town then, but if not, I’ll join in. I’ll let you know as we get closer to the 16th.

Greg

Please mark me as tentative. I’ll try to firm up soon.

What does this mean?

I’d like to have Rookies join us in addition to the regulars. Since their cellar might not be as deep as yours or mine, this shouldn’t keep them away. I figure the regulars will just bring something that (if I may quote Jay Hack) doesn’t suck. In NY English, this means you don’t have to bring a $100 bottle to have an enjoyable meal. [wink.gif]

Can someone suggest a place that’s BYO and corkage friendly?

Sun Wah. Walking distance to red line

Thanks much for the explanation.

As to a place, you might want to check out the Chicago BYOB list we keep here to see if anything strikes your fancy.

I’d like to have Rookies join us in addition to the regulars. Since their cellar might not be as deep as yours or mine, this shouldn’t keep them away. I figure the regulars will just bring something that (if I may quote Jay Hack) doesn’t suck. In NY English, this means you don’t have to bring a $100 bottle to have an enjoyable meal. [wink.gif]

Can someone suggest a place that’s BYO and corkage friendly?[/quote]

Thanks much for the explanation.

As to a place, you might want to check out the Chicago BYOB list we keep here to see if anything strikes your fancy.[/quote]

Yes. All of the steak places, but I only have 1 dinner. [wink.gif] Are any of these places BYO friendly?
Jordan, I’d prefer to stay closer to downtown.

You can twist my arm to eat here > Smoque BBQ.

It’s good, not great. Brisket was dry last time I was there.

If I decided to go for lunch, would that change your mind? Any suggestions for BBQ within easy range of the train?

I’ve had great brisket there within the past year, but I’ve found the ribs can be overcooked sometimes. I guess it just shows that there’s variability at Smoque.

lunch, I could do that. I love their sausage. BBQ suggestions, not really

I could definitely do dinner, not sure I could make a lunch though.

Ok. Let’s discuss a restaurant that allows byo. I’ll stand by your suggestion. My cellar is heavy in California Cab 2007 - 2014.

I’m not going to be able to attend. Work travel intervenes.

I’m fine with Smoque BBQ, unless anyone else has suggestions.

Can you confirm BYO? I read somewhere that they have good quality paper cups.