Chicago Area Offline - March 29, Steak & Vine

(See post 14 for updates, details)

Remembering the great Chave-a-thon of a few years back, also held in the Chicago suburbs, I wanted to put together another offline while I’m next in the area for work (StringWorks is in Geneva), so this is the ‘feelers’ thread, where we can discuss venue, theme, and likelihood of anybody showing up.

Theme? Can do whatever, but another Chave-a-thon is always welcome, as I haven’t had Chave in years! Piedmont? Burgundy? Please not Bordeaux, however, as I’ll have just returned from Atlanta a week and a half prior for my annual love-fest with Bordeaux at the infinitely generous Mark Taylor’s home, so no matter what Bordeaux we serve soon thereafter, it will likely pale in comparison, and I want to keep my love affair with Bordeaux intact flirtysmile

Location? Because I’m in town to cover for a key employee who will be gone, I’m rather expected to be on site the entire week, so driving into the city would be tough. I’m also borrowing a car, so that makes it even more tricky, HOWEVER, if perhaps we plan a city thing (won’t it be more pricey for all if we did?) perhaps I can carpool with George Hejna (yes, I just volunteered you, George) if he’s a responsible driver.

Date? The biz is open late on Thursdays (stupid tradition in downtown Geneva) so I propose Wednesday the 29th or Friday the 31st, as I’m leaving town the next day (April 1)

Thoughts, folks???

I will be in Paris. You can meet me there. flirtysmile

George

you vacation too much - you should try working

Perhaps he is working by setting up his wine import business? : )

I “might” be in…depending on schedule (since this is early). Actually, I have never tried Chave ; ) but would be willing to bring Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon, or trade SQN. Living in the Western Suburbs I would prefer to keep it that way (but Geneva is still a hike for me)…

How about the restaurant that one of your posters Nick G. owns in La Grange? I am sure he would waive corkage ; )

Nick Gangas owns a restaurant in La Grange?

Where in the Western Suburbs are you?

Interesting … though I never head to the suburbs … I’ll have to see if I’m booked for work travel that week or not.

Greetings Todd,
I live in Naperville. I will have to search about the restaurant since I am stating that from memory (and I haven’t had the opportunity to visit his place).

Cheers,
JP

Todd,
FYI this was posted by Jay Carroll…

“We had an offline at Nick Gangas’s new place. $20 corkage(I am sure that can be negotiated) nice stems, good food.”

Steak and Vine
37 South La Grange Road
La Grange, IL 60525
(708) 579-0520

I also noticed that there are some other posters that live in Naperville…but then I do not get out like I used to…and I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting any of them…

Cheers,
JP

Steak and Vine is a nice restaurant with good food and Nick was a very gracious host.

I’m good with either date. I’ve been looking for an occasion to open some 1er/GC Burgs. I’ll also bring an older Riesling, maybe 1980’s/early 1990’s.

So who’s in charge of planning?

I’m happy to volunteer. I’ll contact Nick re: dates and report back.

Aside from the offline, which I’m in favor or, happy to have a drink with you when you’re in town Todd. I live in Geneva, so it’s just a hop, skip, etc. :slight_smile:

Where
Steak and Vine
37 South La Grange Road
La Grange, IL 60525
(708) 579-0520

When
Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 6:30pm

Theme
“No Frekin’ Bordeaux” - wines 20+ years old

Attendee List
Todd French
Ryan S.
David Li +1
John Preston
John Danza
Jay Carroll
Jim Brennan (Maybe)
Greg Olson
AJ Thornton
Mark Pecken

Sounds like a good time, so count me in. Either date is fine. I’m in Naperville as well, so LaGrange is an easy Uber.

For theme, Burgs sound good. I don’t have much in the way of Northern Rhone, but plenty of Southern Rhone if that works. I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

d’oh. Out of town that week for spring break

Oh, fantastic!! I’m there all week, so we can meet up at Penrose or something if you like - let me know

Just a quick update, Nick just confirmed that corkage will be half price - only $10/bottle!

Duh, just realized this is the week of our school break, so I may be out of town. Let me know when you’re planning to arrive in town and we may be able to meet up early in the week. Perhaps drag George H over from Batavia?

Do we have a date set yet? Which of the two? Should start putting details in the OP, including theme