Cru bourgeois dinner if you are bored of the dough

Every January I co-organize a dinner with a top Bordeaux estate, but this year I want to do a dinner tasting - on Wednesday 11 January at Ripple Restaurant in Washington D.C. - of lesser known cru bourgeois wines. So we are not talking about Sociando Mallet or Lanessan or Chasse Spleen.

Bordeaux winemakers are flying over to D.C. to showcase their wines, and while they do not make more expensive classified wines, with ever higher, sky-scraping rates, they are making wine to enjoy at a modest price.

It is worth noting that better winemaking methods and vineyard management in recent years have benefitted lower to mid-range producers, who have never been caught up in the pricing frenzy. So the evening will be devoted to a Bordeaux appellation designed for wine drinkers, showing that quality Bordeaux does not have to be expensive to be delicious.

Some labels may be familiar to you, some not (see list below).

To go with the wines of various recent vintages, the chef of the celebrated wine friendly restaurant will prepare a three-course menu to be enjoyed after the initial tasting, with comments from producers who are expected to join the dinner and questions from participants.

Château d’Arsac – AOC Margaux
Château le Crock - AOC Saint Estephe
Châteaux Greysac / Rollan de By / La Clare / Tour Séran – AOC Haut-Médoc
Château Haut Breton Larigaudière – AOC Margaux
Château Labat – AOC Haut-Médoc
Château Lalaudey – AOC Moulis
Château Meyre – AOC Haut-Médoc
Château Moulin à Vent – AOC Moulis
Château Peyredon Lagravette – AOC Haut-Médoc

As you plan your holiday festivities, note this down for you January 2017 wine event calendar.

The price for the entire dinner and tasting is going to be around $50, all taxes and tips included, so let me know if you are interested, and I will tell the restaurant.

[cheers.gif]

Cheers,
Panos

Too bad I don’t live closer to DC or I’d be signing up.
I have some Chateaux Meyre and Greysac in my cellar.
I haven’t seen any vintages of Ch. Meyre available in the US since the '09.

Perfectly named venue, for the theme about “lesser” wines. [wink.gif]

“It’s like Ripple that’s gone flat. I call it Flapple.”