NYC "Rookies"-Sonoma May 9

Thanks again to Tony C for planning the last batch of dinners for us. All of them have been a ton of fun and very accommodating to our group.

Theme: Sonoma

Location: Hill Co. BBQ-Flatiron (30 W 26th St) 26th btwn 5-6th ave.
Time: 6:30PM
Price: $51.15 All-You-Can + Corkage (tax/gratuity included)

Attendees (16):
Jesse Bedrock 2011 Weill Exposition Syrah #3/Under the Wire 2011 Bedrock
Rich S A. Rafinelli 2012 Dry Creek Zin/Lynmar Lynn 2013 Pinot
Alex N Bedrock 2011 Weill Exposition Syrah #2
Tony C Hirsch 2013 West Ridge Pinot
Larry C Hirsch 2013 San Andreas Pinot Noir
Ellen S Lambert Ridge 2008 Cabernet Limited Selection
Shaun C Kistler 2013 Kistler Vineyards Pinot Noir
Ethan A Bedrock 2011 Weill Exposition Syrah #1
Jorge H - 2012 Rivers Marie Chardonnay Sonoma Coast & 2015 L’Oliveto Rose of Pinot Noir RRV
Dennis R
Alex F
Matt S
Andrew K 2006 Kistler Pinot Noir
Brian Z +1 Bedrock 2000 Vino Bambino/2010 Cabernet
Matt C Rose/White?

I am down for May 9th or any other date in early May other than May 2nd. I have tickets to see Pearl Jam at MSG that night… :wink:

If we end up doing Sonoma, I think you can leave it wide open to whites and reds and end up with a good mix. While zin, Pinot and chard dominate, there are so many varietals produced in Sonoma.

Hope I can make this one! I have a lot of different wines from Sonoma that would be fun to share.

May 9 is good with me.

9 is fine.

May 9th works for me

Hi Please count me in. Thanks for organizing. I have something which should be good in my stash. It’s from my honeymoon. While the marriage didn’t last, I did discover a talented small producer and her wines are usually pretty tasty.

Thanks!

Hi. I have a feeling my wine will be better with a decant. It’s a 2009 Cab. Sauv and may still be a tad tight though reviewers say patience and a long decant will be rewarded. What do you “experts” recommend? I do have one of those handheld aerators I can bring. Should I just go with the plan that the restaurant will have decanters, open mine as soon as I arrive and decant immediately? Is there a good travel decanter folks can suggest?

Works for me.
I have a lot of Bedrock and Carlisle, so if anyone was planning on bringing one of those too, we could do a vertical or horizontal or something interesting.

I’m in for Bedrock. I don’t own any, so I would have to source whatever is available on the market.

In. Have a Bedrock Cuvée Karatas, Rivers Marie Chardonnay or Loring Pinot Noir at the moment. Will also be out in RRV in 2 weeks so can pick up something “rarer”.

Is there a venue picked out already?

I have a ton of Sonoma wines from various trips so I will see what everyone else is bringing and then try to fill in any gaps. I am heavy in Sonoma chard, pinot and zin but also have some syrah, cab, sangiovese and other random bottles as well. Either way, should be fun. All of the last 3-4 places we have gone have been excellent so whatever works for everyone else is fine with me.

I’m in.

I’ve added those that have responded to the list.

No venue yet. Tony and I had talked about PDH downtown, but another possibility is to go to Hill Country BBQ, which has notoriously low corkage (10/bottle) and an unlimited food deal on Mondays.

I’m definitely open to other suggestions! I’d like to make our reservation this week though.

I could definitely help with any sort of turley/carlisle/bedrock vertical or horizontal with any of the historic vineyards. you can add arnot roberts to that list if we want to do syrah.

Yes! BBQ!!!

$32 all you can eat Mondays. Great option!

Bbq sounds good to me. Lots of choices on my end here as well. i will wait to see who is bringing what and fill in any empty spots.

I’m in.

'Cue sounds good.

Happy to coordinate on bedrock or Carlisle.

-Dennis

Since it sounds like we are leaning bbq, I will likely go with A. Rafanelli zin and maybe a riper Pinot or chard from Lynmar or something similar.

I’d like to be in but can’t commit until week before due to possible pending vacation.

Hey Guys,

My name is Alex Fridlyand and I’m a friend of Larry’s. I’ve been interested in joining the group for a while. Would definitely love to come on May 9th if there is still space. Let me know and cheers everybody!