SF Peninsula Sat. April 9: tasting the best Calif Nebbiolos

“NEB” tasting 12-4 open to the public (I know what the N stands for but that’s it)

BACKGROUND: I stumbled upon this last year
A year ago I was certain all California Nebbiolo was soft, oaky, varietally indistinct, more like a Merlot than anything from Piedmont, not worth the money, and nothing to offer the taster that you can’t get either from a California merlot or from an average quality Piedmont nebbiolo. But I went to the following event alone last year, showed up without a reservation (none needed), on a Facebook tip from a friend, and I found that the spectrum of Nebbiolo styles grown in California is quite wide, and at the high end they are VERY exciting, plus underpriced, plus not oaky. I found one that I would have bet blind was a top Barbaresco but I won’t say which one…it rhymes with Hideawhile…there were two other Nebbiolos there that I preferred to that one, but they were more New World (without being the least bit oaky, overripe, or sugary), they rhyme with Castelli Estate and Harrington Nettare. Complex, feminine/masculine, and wild/sauvage like a Mazis. Drinkable and ageable. I’m on five mailing lists total of any kind of wine, and two are from last year’s Nebbiolo event. Some wineries there offer multiple bottlings from different vineyards. (Look for Luna Mata vineyard wines from several producers, and of course estate Nebbiolo, the spectrum of styles is amazingly broad). The most popular Nebbiolo at the tasting was not my style at all, it was an oaky merlot type wine to me, maybe it would improve with age but my palate was by then adjusted to the low-oak elegant wines at the tasting. Anyway, if you know nothing about Nebbiolo, or if you don’t like the ones you’ve had, it’s OK…if you like any kind of California red, you’ll find a wine here you’ll like at what I think is a great price. Half the attendees last year knew very little about wine and all had a great time.

The lower end wines from the wineries are absurd bargains. But the top wines there get the brain going. I might this time focus on the lower end bottlings.

DETAILS: this year’s tasting
I had to pester the organizers to find out when this year’s event will be held. They’re winemakers not salespeople. The event is almost shockingly low key. It’s a stand up walkaround. It’s not at all crowded, in fact it almost seemed a 1-1 ratio between consumers and winemakers/pourers (counting TomHill four times, he was pouring several wines). It’s in an attractive barrel room, well laid out, intimate feel, with good snacks (charcuterie, bread, fruit), the tables in a circle, it works very well. People left me alone to wander which I like, and the winemakers were very generous answering all of my questions.
Today I found out it’s at the same place as last year.
Saturday April 9 from noon-4pm at Domenico Winery, 1697 Industrial Road, San Carlos, CA. List of wineries forthcoming when I find out.
Last year it was a $10 tasting fee, my guess is the same this year. Reservations not needed, last year I didn’t know until that morning whether San Carlos fit my schedule.
I’m going for sure. I have no business connection to any of the producers or hosts, or to any wine other than buying it.

Offline after event: edited: turns out I have to leave San Carlos at 530 and the event ends at 4, I’d be happy to meet people nearby 4-530

I plan to be there, so dinner afterward sounds good.

Edited: I can only attend a post- tasting event until 530 it turns out.

Bump. This is a fun tasting. Casual walk around with some notable winemakers. Nebs from quite a range of terroir (more than just CA). Only $10.