A Yank in Oz -- Sydney Australia March 24

In 1990 I was negotiating for a job that would have caused me to spend most of my time in Taiwan, Seoul, and Australia. I had a business trip scheduled immediately to Adelaide if I took the job. But I turned down the job and I’ve never been to Australia.
While my son house sits here, I will be in Sydney March 22 to 27 visiting a friend. I bought a WineCheck on Berserkerday because of this trip, I intend to bring a case of not-new wine to Australia and I would love to open several of them at an offline in Sydney.

I was sure I’d have two days for a side trip to hit cellar doors in Adelaide/Barossa/Coonawarra/McLarenVale for two days, now that looks unlikely. It’s on my very short bucket list, much more so than the Great Barrier Reef or Ayers Rock or sailing in Perth or being killed by a shark or snake or stonefish or orange octopus or boxing kangaroo. I was stunned at how reasonable air fare to Sydney from SF is.

So.
Anyone want to join my friend and me for dinner in Sydney March 22 or 24?

I envy you being able to make the trip. We’ve been invited down and offered a place to stay and couldn’t make it happen.

If there aren’t any WB members in the area for an off-line, I’d shoot Michael Twelftree an email. He would probably arrange for a get together even if he had to fly you down to Adelaide or fly up to Sydney. Very gracious and giving individual.

Yeah he’s pretty awesome. He co-hosted a tasting at my pre-divorce house 20 years ago. Russell Bevan was still Bacchus, paving a blazing trail through Napa Valley but not yet a winemaker, cooking beef for everyone on my charcoal kettle grill as soon as he got there unknown to me, making everyone happy despite their best intentions not to enjoy life, there is nothing like going to a big red wine tasting and someone passes around a plate – screw napkins or cutlery, use your damn fingers and pants – of slices of hot and perfectly grilled steak. Michael was then selling wine and not yet making any, an Australian Football player, construction guy, straight talker, you could tell he loved his family to death, and unlike me a risktaker with a long term vision.

Those were the good old days :slight_smile: Twelfy’s an amazing guy, I was very lucky to meet him some years ago when he presented a bunch of the Two Hands wines here in Toronto. It would also certainly be worth it for you to PM Jeremy Holmes or Kent Comley, George—if you need it, I can put in a good word for you [grin.gif]

Hope you’re otherwise keeping well—I have had to put off my own return visit to Oz for longer than I’ve wanted…hopefully in the next couple of years.

Mike

Dear George,

Please beware that Australian customs will only allow three bottles per adult in your party duty free. More than that and the additional bottles AND the three bottles are taxed at 29% of the (purchase + freight/insurance ) price followed by 10% GST on the result.

Anthony.

Anthony do you mean bringing wine into Australia or taking it out? I’m not much of an international traveler

Thank you Mike!

Bringing wine in. If you try to bring in 12 bottles you will pay tax.

George - PM sent about the Sydney crew…

Kevin thank you, hope it works out for you after your other event! Your PM also confirmed Anthony’s bad news about customs is exactly right. I’m now thinking of bringing one Burg, one Aussie, and one California cab, particular ones I hope are as hard to find in Australia as they are here. The rest of the week I’ll drink whatever I find in Sydney.

IIRC, there’s a halfway decent shop around Circular Quay. And there was a more than halfway decent shop up from Darling Harbour somewhere, but I don’t remember the name :frowning: Sorry, George, it has been 14 years since I was at that shop…

Mike thank you! I will search this board for suggestions as well.

Hi George, do you have any preferences it terms of wines you’d like to try? Or just bring a mix of typical Aussie stuff like Wendouree, Rockford Basket Press, Clonakilla, Mt Mary, Giaconda, Tyrrells etc. Not sure what has been discussed with Kev.

I think the plan is for a free for all, bring whatever. I like all of the wines you’ve listed very much except I have not tried a Tyrells. I am thinking of bringing a Ringland (Three Rivers or an old Rockford SVS) and a red Burg.

Isn’t that like bringing ice to the eskimos? :slight_smile: Both seriously good wines, but I dunno, is it like me bringing a SQN over to the US to drink.

Just bring some US wines we don’t have a chance to see out here and we’ll be as happy as a pig in mud. (I am only speaking for myself obviously)

Totally up to you though.

EDIT: I’ve been told elsewhere on knocking back a 3 Rivers… “Write back and tell him you were joking, or drunk, or didn’t understand the question…” LOL

There is a wonderful US wine I can bring. It is called “Charles Shaw”, I am hoping you all are unfamiliar with it so it will be a treat and a surprise. I only have a couple of bottles but this will be a special occasion for me so it will be worth the sacrifice.

[rofl.gif]

You could bring a couple cases. Total taxes all in: $23.00, about the cost of a pack of cigarettes and a beer in Oz.

Always knew you had a heart of gold, George. What honour you do our Antipodean mates… flirtysmile

I’ve got this standing upright in anticipation for the Flight of Titans.
IMG_1630.JPG