Thematic Big Reds in NYC - March 23, 2016 - Erev Purim!

For those who are unaware, there is a Jewish holiday - Purim - at which you are supposed to drink so much wine in celebration that when the story is read out loud, you cannot distinguish the name of the hero from the name of the villain. What better day to drink some big red wines? I posted a while ago about having a series of big red wine dinners with an overall theme of making our way through the great California wineries that would, if we were ego driven traditionalist point whores like the French [stirthepothal.gif], be considered on some official list of first growth or second growth, or Grand Cru, producers.

So I offer two possible themes, one horizontal and one vertical. We’ll leave the final selection up to the opinion of those who plan to attend, so please express your opinion.

My two theme choices are:

Vertical: Pahlmeyer Reds, the Proprietary Red Blend or the Merlot. I have the 1999, the 2001, the 2002 and the 2007 Prop. Red.

Horizontal: 2001 High End Cali Cabs. 2001 was a very good year. I did not sock away a lot of them, but I have the Pahlmeyer and the Pride left.

Anyone interested?

I’m thinking Keene’s Steakhouse as a venue because you’ve got to have big red meat with big red wine.

I’d be interested.

Lean towards the horizontal, but can go either way.

-Dennis

If you can put the 2001 horizontal together, I would be interested. I have a Spottswoode that would fit the theme, and the date works for me.

I wish I could join but I will have competing obligations that night. Unless you’re willing to host ~19 additional guests [cheers.gif]

Count me in as a definite maybe.

Got a 2001 Dunn, but it probably needs another 20 years

I like 2001 idea, put me on the list.

I am in. I think I know somebody else who likes Big Reds [wink.gif]. I have some 2001’s that fit the bill.

I’m a maybe. If I can make it, this lone bottle will make it’s way to Manhattan 2001 Seavey Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.

Count me in if you have room, I will have to find something to fit the bill though…

Please put me on list also like the idea of 2001 Horizontal

I’m interested as well. Count me in as a most likely maybe. (also have Pride).

I’m interest. Love 2001 cabs. May have something in the offsite - will need to check.

So, is this happening?

Absolutely. I am working on a couple of midtown restaurant choices and will let people know soon. I want to go for Seafire Grill because it has both top of the line read meat and good seafood starters for some white wine, but I get conflicting info on corkage. My second choice is Keens.

Interested

Wish I could, Jay

Out of this one, have to head to Mesa, AZ that week

Very interested.

Just had an '01 Togni, and it’s singing – glorious wine. Wish that I had one to proffer, but I don’t. If someone does, that would really make for a great addition.

Best,

Kenney