Celebrate the liberation of Boston, date/place TBD

Boston has officially legalized BYOB (admittedly, in true Bostonian style, this applies only to restaurants with < 30 seats that don’t have liquor licenses and are located in outlying neighborhoods).

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/12/16/city-councilors-expected-vote-whether-allow-byob-boston-wednesday-meeting/Z67ofdLZZGmFngfogJiRKP/story.html?p1=feature_stack_2_hp

I think we need to find one of these fortunate places and celebrate!

Reply if interested, and we’ll figure something out…

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

Has it gone into effect yet? I’d be interested in this.

I’ll be back from MX 2/16, after that

Sounds like Mayor Walsh will have to write up the rules, so this may take a while…

If you hear about places that will get a license, post it here, or in the Boston thread in the BYOB forum.

I’m down

I’m up!

champagne.gif

I’m in, but thinking we will be stuck eating in some little dive in Hyde Park…

Yeah, that isn’t much to celebrate. I’ve asked if I could bring wine or beer in to a couple of places like that, and it’s never been a problem even though technically illegal. This bit

and are located in outlying city neighborhoods that need to diversify their economic interests, like Mission Hill and Hyde Park

combined with the fact that they have to apply for a license (to not serve alcohol; that makes sense!) doesn’t have me too optimistic.

If someone finds a place with the license that’s worth going to, I’ll do my best to make it.

Anyone want to give Sweet Basil a try next month? True they always had BYOB but I do remember good events there.

Ron

If it works with my schedule, I would love to join.

-Jason

Also interested as long as it works schedule-wise.

Ron

In as well if something gets set up for March

Once this rule finally gets put into effect, that will dramatically improve any and all dining outings!

Sweet Basil sounds good to me! It’s been a while, but I’ve really enjoyed my meals there. The food is very wine friendly, too. As far as I know, they don’t take reservations. I don’t know if that would be an issue during the week. Maybe someone who’s been there recently knows, or someone can ask the restaurant how busy it has been recently.

They still do not take take reservations but i often see people stopping in early and leave their cellphone and request for a table a little later in the evening. I’m sure they will be accommodating for us especially if weekday. Weekends can be busy but when I every get take out during the week there seems to be open tables.

I have an in and don’t think it will be a problem

That’s good enough for me. Should we talk about dates that might work? Maybe this deserves a separate thread so we can put the venue and date in the subject line?

Count me in. Haven’t been to Sweet Basil in 6+ years, but have been meaning to go since I’ve got back to town.

I’ll get things going mid-week.

My in is out so I booked Cafe Mangal for March 31st.

You mean March 31st, right?