NJ Tasting Group

Did a search but didn’t find anything. Does one exist? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one? I am a novice in wine and was thinking that a tasting group would help me progress.

Where in Jersey?

I know a few Berserkers in Monmouth County area.

I am in Morris County, but would be willing to drive a bit to meet up occasionally.

My folks are in Parsippany, I might be able to join in once a month or so depending on dates.

Most of the north Jersey Berserkers I know are a little older and have their own private groups running.

This group you looking for is for young persons only? what is the age limit?

champagne.gif

No age limit as long as you enjoy wine!

In Somerset area, always up for more tasting and learning.

Right down 206 for me. Let’s try and get some others interested and start a tasting group!

Joey - I am definitely interested. So many good BYO restaurants in the area.

I am in Essex County. Would be interested if schedule permits. Some nice BYOs in Maplewood and Montclair.

We might be interested…(depending upon our schedule and if we are on east coast). Bistro 73 in Bernardsville is a great location.

Karen & John

I’d be interested . Live in Bergen County, work in Union County. Locales near a train station preferable

Great. We are getting some interest here. Let’s start thinking of a date that works for everyone and a place semi central for all.

It seems that everyone is a little south or a little west from where I am at. Here are some ideas for places I think might work…

Lorena’s in Maplewood
Il Mondo Vecchio in Madison
Bistro 73 in Bernardsville
Basilico in Milburn
Fascino in Montclair

Thoughts?

some more casual, but very good places are:

Arturo’s in Maplewood - excellent pizza as well as locally sourced farm to table style entrees
Uncle Momo’s in Montclair - French Lebanese - really good. Did a vertical of Musar here, was fabulous.

Both are small but authentic with excellent food and on a Monday or Tuesday should be no problem getting a table. more difficult towards end of week and weekend.

I will be interested as well.
I am in Hunterdon County.

Thanks for the suggestions, Alex! Perhaps a little more casual with BYOB for the first tasting would be in order. We can try a nicer restaurant once we get a group established.

I am thinking we can set something up either in the middle of December or wait until January when everyone is a little less busy with the holidays. What works well for everyone?

I am definitely interested. Live in Bergen County (Saddle River/Allendale/Hohokus area), work everywhere (our professional wine storage facility is in Edison, NJ) but would be willing to travel as south as the Raritan Bridge.

I’m up for any type of food and/or wine theme. January would be considerably more convenient for me.

I’m 40 (since age was brought up).

Since Alex mentioned Arturo’s something more formal in Maplewood is Restaurant Lorena. I have not been in a while but I know other board members have had excellent recent experiences and it’s right by the train.

Lorena’s is excellent and a good choice near the train. Arturo’s is also on the same block a few doors down, so easy to get to as well. The main difference between the two - French and Pizza/Italian is the price. Lorena’s ain’t cheap. I have gone several times, but usually for special occasions. That said, I really like the place and the service is excellent. Arturo’s is delicious. The make their own dough with natural yeasts, use fresh and artisanal ingredients. Pizza’s are top notch but so are there specials. It isn’t Di Faro (what IS?) but it is darn close. weekends are impossible to get in… time to go is on a Monday/Tuesday

For really casual and for those in the Hunterdon/Somerset/Morris county area, Lombardi Pizza in Martinsville is excellent. Pizzas come out of a wood fired oven, with some great combination of toppings (no standard pizza shop stuff). Have had several smaller off lines there and usually order a few rounds of pizza, only take 5-6 minutes to cook so they come out quickly.

Side story to this, they have a pizza truck with a wood fired oven, will come to your house and make pizzas for a couple hours. We did this last spring and what came out of the truck was as good as the shop.