NYC - Big Red Wines With Red Meat

Just want to gauge interest in a series of steakhouse dinners in Manhattan with the theme of having full flavor wines with nice red meat and appropriate accouterments. I’m looking for a steakhouse to have it and I have already contacted a few candidates (since the landlord gouged the rent at the Rothmanns on 54th and they left, so I can’t do it there any more).

I have considered a variety of approaches to sequential themes, like The Wines of X Winemaker, or The Wines of Y Winery.

To avoid any confusion about my reference to full flavor wines for the two or three of you out there who might be confused, if I do wineries, I would expect that the following would be examples of those who would make the cut. Other recommendations gladly accepted.

Saxum
Schrader
Quilceda Creek
Cayuse
Carlisle vs. Bedrock blind throw down
Bevan
Myriad/Quivet
SQN

If anyone has a relationship with a good steakhouse that could be a candidate, I’ll take that too. I think order off the menu is the best idea in case someone likes salmon with their red wine. So long as they do not have quiche on the menu.

Uh-oh! The heavy hitters are coming! I’d better run for cover [wow.gif] newhere pileon

That said, I have to thank Jay for bringing a Saxum Heart Stone 2007 to an offline I was at about a year ago. A wine (and type) I’d been curious about for years, but not willing to take the plunge, expecting I wouldn’t like it. Finally he gave me the chance, and guess what? My worst fears were realized! Oy vey! People pay money for this?? Full frontal assault on the palate! Next thing to cough syrup! Jay, thanks for the opportunity, honestly I appreciate it, but sorry, this just ain’t for me. Ditto for your offline, of course–but enjoy yourself, everybody’s taste is different. champagne.gif [drinkers.gif]

Keen’s may be a winner for this.

I have done a few at Keen’s and I like it. I get the feeling that sometimes they are not big fans of the process, but it is in the running.

I’m in.

Can work this in depending on the date.

I’d be interested…

-Dennis

I am interested, date dependant.
Vote for Myriad/Quivet/Mike Smith cabs.
North Square does a pretty good steak, albeit not a ‘steak house’.

Very interested in this. Date and time is clearly a factor

I’d be interested. I possess some of those wines.

Id be interested depending on date. Also, a vote for Keens

Somebody pony up and take notes for the rest of us, please!

Interested…have lots of bedrock/carlisle and some of most of the rest.

I am interested as well. Have all the ones mentioned and plenty of others along the same lines!

I am interested

Depending on date - I am interested.
I have a ton of Saxum I would be happy to share.

Also interested depending on date – sounds up my alley

Caroline is in. I’ll go along. I’m not expecting Josh or Jay M though [suicide.gif]

Keens is a good idea.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that Jay didn’t contact me about this group.

How about if we do it at a Japanese Steakhouse [wink.gif]