SF Bay Area/Peninsula group: next up?

Maybe a little soon to start thinking about a next dinner, but have some spare time sitting in Narita, so thought I’d start us off. Let me throw out an idea: How about comparative flights of wines from different regions. Lots to choose from, might be interesting to start with some slightly less mainstream grapes. For example:

Sauvignon Blanc from NZ, CA, Loire.
Riesling from Germany, Austria, CA, Oz

All my brain can come up with, outside the big names like Cabernet, Chardonnay, Cab Franc, Syrah, but those are fair game as well. Better minds than mine will add to this list, I hope.

Just a suggestion.

Update: Menlo Grill, Monday, Nov. 16, 6:30pm

Attendees:
Alan
Dan
Rob
Wes
Ed
Steve
Matthew
Larry
Gene
Andrew (?)
Craig (?)

You have a date in mind?
Andrew has been MIA, so not sure about his truffle dinner.
Not that dates would conflict - I just can’t do two in one week.

I think any theme is fine, though usually it becomes bring what you can. [snort.gif]

Menlo Grill?

I like the global flights idea. I assume Pinot is in the mainstream group?

Other ideas

• Chenin Blanc (Loire, CA, South Africa maybe)
  • Merlot (France, CA, Italy, Australia maybe?). Comparing a big, good quality CA Merlot with a right bank Bordeaux would be fun.

Could be fun.

Rich, those are good suggestions. At first I was thinking of less mainstream varieties (Pinot, Cab, Syrah, etc.), but any/all are fine with me. Was also looking at this as a way to validate/invalidate some of my own biases against new world wines. Try some combinations blind, and see what happens.

Miles Raymond: No, if anyone orders Merlot, I’m leaving. I am NOT drinking any f*cking Merlot!

Hold on, now, I assumed Rich was volunteering to bring Petrus [wow.gif]

fixed :wink:

Sorry Alan, but I promised myself I wouldn’t crack my case of '90 Petrus until 2020! [snort.gif]

What about your case of '61?

Ah. We polished that off at the last offline you skipped, Dan!

Yeah, I had a hard time convincing Uber to take me to fantasyland… [snort.gif] [wow.gif] flirtysmile grouphug

Whatever the theme, I’m in!

So Alan,
You want to nail down a date and venue?
Believe it or not, we are already half way thru October!

Let’s try for Nov 9 or 16, see who can do which. Menlo Grill? Who’s got the contacts there?

Either date works for me.
Let’s see what people can do.
Larry can call or I can.
Or anyone can call - just make sure to say the Larry Stein group and remind them of our promised free corkage.

Wouldn’t we get better service if we used “Larry Stone”? Or “Oliver Stone”? or “Oliver Cromwell”?

How about Larry the Wrench!

Both dates work for me.

You have room for two Brickley’s: Steve and Matthew on either date noted?

From the response so far, it might be just you two guys :wink: Absolutely, come on down!