Seeking an Under-40's Tasting Group North Bay SF

Yes, you read it right, can’t get past the velvet rope unless your under 40 years of age! Okay, maybe 45!

It’s about time I venture outside the nest and mingle with some ballas and want-to-be-ballas in the North Bay, that’s you Sonoma and Marin Counties! No longer can I stand to recommend a good $10 red from Safeway to one of my colleagues, I need to speak on the same level with people who try and take this hobby as serious as I do. Sometimes one needs to vent outside the confines of the Misses! If you exist, give me a shout, would love to share some great bottles from around the world! Looking for maybe a once a month or quarter get-together. champagne.gif

Ageist!

A great fake ID could get you through the ropes! neener

You realize it’s the old guys that have the good aged wines, right? :wink:

I live in Marin, have a 1,400 Bottle cellar, belong to several off-line groups, and would be happy to get together and share great wine, but I’m 59.

Let me know if you change your mind on the age limit.

I’d embrace the old guys. Some are still good dancers too.

You guys do what you want, but just stay the hell off my lawn.

My favorite offline had a age range of participants from there mid 20’s to mid '70’s

Speaking of venting. This is the dumbest, and most insulting idea that I’ve ever read on WineBerserkers.

Anything else I would write would be negative editorial content.

No need to troll Dan, that’s not going to help you get through the rope. But I wouldn’t expect anything less from a NYer! [berserker.gif]

BOYCOTT

8,000 BOTTLES HERE WON’T BE ELIGIBLE !!

I’ve got nothing against wine enthusiasts under 40, but I am having a hard time imagining what the positives could possibly be in limiting a tasting group to people under that age.

Of course, all analogies break down somewhere, but the imagery of younger wine drinkers/collectors as some exclusive night club behind a velvet rope seems a little strange.

I see nothing strange on wanting to share an experience with a similar age demographic. What I am finding out rather quickly is how this board is heavily skewed towards an older demographic. Not an ageist by any means, although, I am surprised at how offended people get over a simple ask. Oh well, can’t please everyone.

I am not offended. I think it’s a bad choice on your part, but of course you’re free to do whatever you like.

Is it that you hope the imagery will prove appealing to younger wine drinkers?

If so, I have my doubts, but I hope it works for you. I still have a hard time imagining the possible benefits in imposing such an age limit. I can only see downside for you, which is probably why the velvet rope imagery seems weird to me.

Being one of the non-qualifiers by a large margin, I will not put you in the position of having to turn me away at the door. Enjoy your tasting group. I thoroughly enjoy the ones in which I participate which are open to all.

A decidedly unberserkerly post.

I think it’s a good idea.

In fact I would take it further. I would specify that you can’t be overweight - no need to hang around with fatties. I’d also limit it by income because if people aren’t making enough money they won’t have collected enough wine to make themselves interesting. And people would need minimal cellar sizes - you definitely don’t want people who just go out and buy some old and expensive wines and try to pass as ballers - you want them to have kept the wines since release.

I do understand limiting the age here - people who are older may have been collecting wine longer and may have larger cellars than younger folks and it’s hard to feel like a baller when you have half the experience and half the collection of the guy across the table.

I’d definitely limit it to specific ethnic groups because after all, it’s a shared cultural experience and people from some places just don’t have the same background and context to enjoy wine.

And I’d probably limit it to people who know the difference between adjectives and adverbs, just to keep the dialogue at a certain level. So I’d probably have some forms to fill out and require an essay. That way I’d be sure to hang out with people just like me. It would be like Facebook where you can hang out with people just like yourself.

As far as females go, that’s kind of tough. By rights it should be an all male club because that’s what I am but I like women and I like having them around. flirtysmile

Matter of fact, maybe I’d limit it to women only except for me! I like where this is going. Thanks for planting the idea Jason!!! champagne.gif

you guys wear jorts
if you have to ask, see Urban Dictionary: jort

Jorts? Those are cut-offs, a common usage for Levi’s jeans back in the 70s. Back then ripped jeans weren’t in fashion so when your pants ripped you made swim trunks out of them. They weren’t allowed in pools but we always swam in the Russian River so it didn’t matter. Only the cool kids wore cut-offs. But that was 40 years ago.

Post this over on Wine Spectator board. You will hit your age criteria AND be guaranteed to have a mish-mosh of mediocre wines and you won’t even need to use your real name…
Fun fun fun.
:slight_smile: