Copain Retrospective--Saturday, 9/19--my house in the OC

Hi everyone. I really enjoyed the 2 part Rhys series we did over the past year, as well as vicariously enjoying the recent Arcadian event that the OC crew did last weekend. With that in mind, I’d like to look back and survey the Copain wines in a similar fashion. We can hold the event at my house and keep it informal by doing our own food here and having a good time together working through a selection of Copain wines.

A couple things to point out for the event. There is the demarcation line of the house style change, with the syrahs in 2007 and the pinots in 2006. We also have the introduction of the chardonnays beginning in 2009. We certainly cannot survey the entire Copain body of work and it would be my opinion we look mostly at wines that were made after the style change. I’d have interest in looking at some of the wines prior to the style shift but would rather limit how many of those we see.

For now, I’d appreciate seeing if there is interest to do this event and so a post that you will attend is what I am looking for (no maybe posts please, as I cannot move the date–it is firm). Plus 1s are also encouraged. We should look to cap attendance too at 16 for now. We can use the dining room and backyard to keep it relaxed and fun.

Look forward to seeing some replies. [cheers.gif]

Andrew + Sahba would be honored to attend.

Sorry we are conflicted out

Me too bummer

god, really? Both of you? Andrew, we need better luck here if we’re going to fill the table.

Tami and I could fill a couple of chairs [thankyou.gif]

I know Seiber’s mad at them, but maybe we can persuade him.

I have an 06 Wentzel open tonight. flirtysmile

Can we get more Copain love for next month?

As of now… I have that date open. Its usually a lighter month for me travel wise, but, I make no guarantees. Sign me up please!

If you want to move this to New York . . . In 2006, I decided to put away a stash of Copain just to see what would happen if someone did to California wine what people insisted we do to French and Italian wine. I have 16 bottles of assorted 2004 Copain including 3 Pinots, a Roussane, 8 Syrahs, 1 Zinfandel and 3 Rhone blends. I also have 5 bottles of 2005 Copain McDowell Syrah.

I think we will keep it here, Mr Hack. You have the stuff that was before the style shift and I appreciate you still enjoy that old house style. I would still like to obtain some of the older Hawks Butte, say 01-03. Haven’t seen any on Winebid in some time.

So, with the large OC crew we are fortunate to have, there has to be a few more folks that can get by and do some bottles with Tom, Andrew, Leslie and I. Come on, now.

I’d like to come down from LA and join, but won’t know if it’s doable until the date gets closer. If you can accommodate a maybe/waitlist, please do put me down.

Levi, it would be a pleasure to meet you. That drive down here is a commitment!

True! But the OC folks always seem to have something cool going on - would like to see what you guys are up to. My grandmother lives down in Newport so I can crash with her if I make it down.

I’m not a big Copain guy, so as of now have 0 bottles in my possession. You’ll have to let me know what I should pick up that’s relatively available down here. Looks like KL has a number of back vintage bottles right now, but let me know.

I have two bottles of the Hawks Butte 2005, but it will have to stay in New York.

Levi, my vision for this would be to drink the Pinots at 2006 and forward, the Syrah at 2007 and forward, and with the Chard, as the program began in 2009, we’d do those, too. Of course, the body of work here is pretty large and with a small group, we simply can’t get at it all. But, we can pool our cellars and open a few bottles each and have some fun across some mixed things. If you want to trade, we can help that way.

For the gang here that is attending, let’s get some of the 07s into our glasses, as I personally think this is the best, oldest Copain vintage to date. The 09s are a little fatter but are terrific in their own way. The 11s kick ass, too. I can also check with the winery and see if they want to toss a couple 12s our way to try or maybe a 13.

We need more people for this still so if you are on the fence, just fall off, post you’re coming and join us.

You’re a convincing guy, frank. Sounds like a very good time. Between the kids, upper mgmt, last minute work (and the Jewish holidays to boot), things will be a little unpredictable. But I think there’s a good chance I’ll be able to make it and very much hope it works out.

I am free that day and would be happy to make the trek down to the OC for some Copain. That being said it appears I only have a single bottle of Copain left in the cellar and it is a “pre-style switch” - the 2006 James Berry. I’m happy to contribute that or source another bottle if we want to keep it to “post-style switch” vintages.

Brian, great that you can make it, and commit to that drive down here!

Let’s stay post switch. Would you like to trade or something?

I got you covered. Two bottles if your lovely wife can attend.