San Francisco Tasting Group?

Hello Berserkers,

Long-term lurker of the boards, and finally made the plunge and joined a few weeks ago.

I’m going to test for the CSA and perhaps the WSET because I’ve enjoyed exploring wine and it seemed like it would be fun. In the mean time, I was curious if there was a casual tasting group in San Francisco or nearby areas (Oakland, Petaluma, South Bay, etc.). I’ve gone my reading, tasted blind across New World/Old World noble varietals - but it’s always great to do with people who also have a passion.

My casual friends enjoy wine, but would be great to connect with locals who want to explore, do blind tastings, etc. I currently live in Mission, San Francisco so let me know. Also my pvt email is jjoseph082 at gmai dot com.

Jeremy

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy,

Search the very topic you posted in for “SF” or “San Francisco” and you’ll see postings about a group that meets fairly often in SF. Plus there’s a Peninsula group, with some overlap between the two. That’s a good place to start. Both groups tend to do non-blind themed tastings over dinner at area restaurants, and are very casual and fun (hah! at least I think so). If you read the postings here, you can see the kinds of line-ups and restaurants we have had recently.

Or, if you don’t like that format, just propose a date/location/format/theme and I’ll bet you get a bunch of folks joining you.

Thanks! I did see a few events happening, but was curious how open they were to new people attending. I’ll following up with them! Thanks again.

I only know of one SF offline group.

]I only know of one SF group.

Jeremy,

I am in SF about a week per month and would certainly be interested. I am new to the area, and not too far away in Lower Pac Heights. I have made a few friends there who might also be interested. Please feel free to PM if you are exploring setting up a tasting. Thanks.

I’ve joined both the SF and Peninsula groups recently and I’ve seen others joining as well and I have found them very welcoming of newcomers, but the tastings tend to draw quite a bit of action, fill pretty quickly, and usually generate a wait list.

I would tell you not to let the wait list scare you off. At least a few seem to move from the wait list to the main list almost every time. There’s usually a few people who have to drop at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts that pop up.

You’re also welcome to start your own threads for SF gatherings. The more the merrier. Given the wait lists that often develop, I’d guess there is probably often enough interest to support two SF gatherings in a given month.

Is anyone interested in joining a SF tasting group?

I’m putting together a tasting group to meet on a regular cadence in the city. If you’re interested in learning more let me know and I’ll share more info.

Yes, I’d be interested.

Me too!

Interested as well.

I’m putting together a few groups in SF. The first one is meeting in ~2 weeks. Message me if you want to join. :slight_smile: @rod_s @RS_Beck @erinmcgrath

When in 2 weeks? I’ll be out of town from the 30th till the 16th. Thanks for reaching out.

Rod

Still waiting on confirmation from the venue, but first session will be on 9/26 and the next on 10/10.

Awesome!!

How did the first two meetings go. I just read your post and I am very interested in joining a subsequent meeting.
Do you have a stylistic/ local/ whatever focus?

I would also be interested, just reading this now (infrequent site visitor)

Let me know if you guys are meeting again any time soon! I am based in Berkeley and would love to join.