NYC Rookies Unite!

Seeking all NYC Rookies:

Based on a discussion on the main board, there is clearly some interest in a non-baller, low-key tasting group. I’d be happy to try and organize a dinner for later next month (Week of Aug 17). I was thinking that Peking Duck House on Mott is a great option (BYOB, cheap and good food), but lets keep the floor open for other options.

Too keep with the rookie theme, lets all try and bring some interesting but not too expensive (<$75) stuff.

If anyone has an idea for a theme, im all in!

Date: 8/18 7:30pm Peking Duck House (Mott Street)

Theme?

Attendees:
Jesse I
Sean D +1
D Lee
Jorge H.
David Z
Corey M
M Shear
Mike Mahle
Adam W
Jorge Henriquez
Tony C
Ethan Abraham
Rich Salsano

Maybe:
Dennis R.

Jessie:

Thanks for setting up this thread. I think this is a great idea for a new group.

Peking Duck House was going to be my suggestion as well. Seems to be an old Berserker stand by and exactly what we need. Let’s judge level of interest and then we can work on hammering out a date and potential themes.

Also, even though this is a great opportunity for some offline rookies to get their feet wet, the “OG” offline experts here are encouraged to join as well! The more the merrier.

One of the “OGs” here! Interested!

Fantastic! Welcome aboard

I’d be interested if whatever night you decide on works for me. As long as having been to a couple offlines doesn’t disqualify me that is.

I’m interested. One thing to note is that PDH on Mott can actually fill up, so if it turns out to be a large group, make sure to make a reservation at least a week or so out. We’ve gotten shut out 2-3 days out in the past with a group of six!

I’ve been to Peking Duck House many times. It’s a solid choice. I spoke to two other winos who aren’t on this board but are interested as well.

Can we agree on a day first? Weeknights work best for me (preferably Tuesdays or Thursdays).

David thanks for the heads up. Sounds like we should get reservations sooner rather than later. Any other recommendations for PDH. Bring your own glassware? Decanters?

Week nights are fine with me, as long as its not too early.

Definitely bring your own glassware and, if you want them, decanters. Hopefully you get seated at one of the round banquet tables but I think they’ve been phasing them out of the upstairs dining room in favor of the less-useful-for-tasting rectangular tables.

Weeknights much better for me - my wife travels during the week so I have more discretion to go to weeknight tastings :slight_smile:

How does August 18th at 8pm sound?

I’d be interested, most weeknights are fine for me.

8/18 at 8pm sounds fantastic. They always seem to have room, but once we have a tentative headcount, I’d be happy to call and make a reservation.

Glad to have any OG’s on board too!

Obviously, this can/will change as we get closer, but I’m thinking of bringing one of the following:

2002 Raffault Chinon
2009 Donkey and Goat Syrah
2013 Arnot Roberts Syrah
1999 Papin d’or Muscadet
2012 Under the Wire Bedrock Rose Sparkling

I have a laboratory 1L decanter that I can bring too.

Should we pick a varietal and a vintage or should we do blind tasting? How do we want to do this?

Let’s also set a price range.

I think we should first get a tentative list of attendees before deciding on theme. That way we can gauge the groups preferences, etc.

Also, as this is first time with a new group, maybe we should keep the guidelines pretty general. Something like “2005 vintage or older” or “Rhone Varietals”. Those are just examples, but it provides a lot of wiggle room for those with small cellars.

Lastly, I think it should be non-blind this time.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to out vote me.

Sounds great. I’m in.

I’d be in if the date works…

-Dennis

I’m interested.

New to the forum, but I’d love to join.
PDH sounds like the perfect place to start.

I will have a +1 for the 18th