San Francisco - August 26 : Iberian Peninsula Wines

Here goes…

DATE: August August 26 at 7pm

VENUE: Alegrias Spanish Restaurant http://www.alegriassf.com/

THEME: Iberian Peninsula Wines*

ATTENDEES: we will try to limit this to 8.

1.-2. Joel +1 - 1994 Lopez de Heredia “Viña Tondonia” Gran Reserva Rioja (red wine)
3. Cindy -
4.-5. Rajat +1 -
6. Ashish - 1982 Bodegas Olarra Añares Reserva Rioja
7. Rajiv - 2004 Palacios Finca Dofi, Priorat
8. Craig - 1982 Bodegas Olarra “Cerro Añón” Reserva Rioja
9. Tim - 2005 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravonia Blanco Rioja Crianza
10. Rob -

WAITLIST:

• I know some of us do not have a large selection of these wines in our cellars, so IF there is not enough people that are able to bring Spanish or Portuguese wines, we may allow a few French wines as according to Wikipedia, France does have a small potion of land that is technically inside the Iberian Peninsula (part of Pyrénées-Orientales). Attendees with Spanish-Portuguese wines will have priority though.

Anyway, those who are interested please choose a date. I already called Alegrias and they are willing to have us for a pretty reasonable corkage fee of $10 a bottle. We are encouraged to bring our own glasses though as they have limited stemware (and their glasses are not really nice, thick rimmed and all). Food is pretty good though as I have eaten there a few times already.

UPDATE: Since almost everyone has responded on the date, it looks like the 26th is the most viable date, hence I am changing the title to say the 26th. I already have a wine in mind, albeit an interesting one and have posed that as well, feel free to post what you plan to bring as well.

I’m in for August 26th only. Can’t make the 19th.

JoeL, I notice that the restaurant has a pre-fix menu for 10 or more. Is this of interest to you?

Looked at it but found it too limiting. 8 people will have varying tastes of their own, some will like to order some Iberico, some will like squid ink paella, some might even go for tripe (callos), while others might totally hate all the choices I have just mentioned.

I’m in for either.

Leonard,

Do you have a preferred date? Please confirm so I can place your name on the list.

I can do either date.

My first time joining one of these (I learned about this from Ashish)–I’d love to come for either date!

Cheers,
Tim

Let’s do 26th! Looks like everyone can make that.

Iberian

Welcome Tim, to the forum and to the SF Berserker offline group as well. Looking forward to meeting you and sharing some vino.

• J

Hey guys,
I’m going to source a bottle since I’m completely lacking in Spanish wines. I’ll end up buying from K&L, but other than looking for the reserva or gran reserva designations and a bit of age, I don’t have any idea about producers. Any suggestions from the following lineup? (If you’re sourcing your bottle, it may be a good idea to post it as well since otherwise we may end up with duplicates.)

2004 La Rioja Alta “904” Gran Reserva Rioja
2005 La Rioja Alta “Viña Ardanza” Reserva Rioja
1998 Bodegas Riojanas Viña Albina Gran Reserva Rioja
1998 Bodegas Casa Juan Señor de Lesmos Gran Reserva Rioja
1998 Bodegas Riojanas Monte Real Gran Reserva Rioja

2001 R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Reserva

Does someone want to bring a dessert sherry?

I’m definitely interested. Have a few bottles of older Rioja I’d love to share. Please put me on the wait list. Thanks!

Ashish,

Rajat might be bringing the 1998 Bodegas Casa Juan Señor de Lesmos Gran Reserva Rioja so maybe pick from the others?

For those who might outsource as well, a couple of suggestions below:

Arlequin Wine Merchant: http://www.arlequinwinemerchant.com/

The Spanish Table: http://www.spanishtablewines.com/

2001 Cune Gran Reserva Rioja

I’ll bring 1982 Bodegas Olarra “Cerro Añón” Reserva Rioja.

Deleted