Washington DC Area - Virginia vs the World, Blind

Date: 8/13 @ 6:30pm
14 people max. Please reply below (See post #29 for more details)
Food will be provided

Joe D: 2007 Linden Avenus red, 2010 RDV
Carla: 2010 Linden Cab Franc, Thibaut-Jannison bubbles
Jaime: 2007 Linden Boisseau, 2007 Linden Hardscrabble
JoeT: 2010 Pedestal Merlot, 2007 Switchback Ridge Merlot
Berg: 2010 Domaine Thomas Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Dent de Chien, 2010 MacDonald Cabernet
Alicia: 2010 Octagon
Obi Juan Migone: 2007 & 2010 Chateau La Confession St-Emilion Grand Cru
Rebecca: 2010 Yannick Amirault Pavillon du Grand Clos and Olga Raffault Chinon Picasses
D White: 2010 Rappahannock Cellars Meritage, 2010 King Family Vineyards Meritage
Art: 2010 gambal chassagne montrachet, 2007 & 2010 Ch Bellevue
Noah: 2007 Delaplane Springlot Reserve, 2007 Octagon
Courtney: 2010 Delaplane Williams Gap Reserve, 2007 Meerlust Rubicon
Jace1: 2010 Linden Hardscrapple Chardonnay and 2007 Glen Manner Hodder Hill
Jace2: 2010 Staglin Family Salus Chardonnay, and 2010 Alexander Valley Cyrus (BDX) blend

Waitlist:

Flight List:

Thibaut-Jannison bubbles

2010 Chard’s
2010 Staglin Family Salus Chardonnay
2010 Linden Hardscrapple Chardonnay
2010 gambal chassagne montrachet
2010 Domaine Thomas Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Dent de Chien

RED 2007’s
Delaplane Springlot Reserve VA
Octagon VA
Linden Avenus red VA
Glen Manner Hodder Hill
Linden Boisseau
Linden Hardscrabble
Chateau Bellevue
Chateau La Confession St-Emilion Grand Cru
Meerlust Rubicon
Switchback Ridge Merlot

Cab Franc
2010 Linden Cab Franc
2010 Yannick Amirault Pavillon du Grand Clos
2010 Olga Raffault Chinon Picasses

RED 2010
Delaplane Williams Gap Reserve VA
Rappahannock Cellars Meritage VA
King Family Vineyards Meritage VA
Octagon VA
Alexander Valley Cyrus (BDX) blend
Chateau Bellevue
Chateau La Confession St-Emilion Grand Cru
MacDonald Cabernet
Pedestal Merlot

I’m in. I’ll be out by Winchester to drop kids off at camp in a couple of weeks if we need to stop by the cellar door at a couple of places. Planning a stop by Glen Manor in any case. Would be interested in setting up a Cab Franc flight.

I am in.

fun idea! count me in.

I really, really don’t think doing this on a regular Domaine Saturday is a good idea. Better to reserve it on a weeknight or Sunday to keep control over who is there.

I’d be up for this as well. I’ve got some VA wines to boot.

interesting idea…
so is it going to be va vs anyting not american or va vs anything not va?
i’m interested, schedule permitting

Flawed poll. No option for “never.”

Scott- while my initial reaction is to make fun of you for being the fun police, you do have a valid point. When do you propose?

Art- what do you think? do we just do this single blind (ie- everyone names what specific wine they are bringing) or try to keep as much of the wine “double blind” (ie "2008 Bordeaux blend from VA, or 2011 Cali chard) as possible. Not sure the best way to handle this.

Thanks guys/gals

We’re in. There are some dates in the summer (especially August) that we aren’t around (so I vote for September - although weekdays, per Scott’s idea, could work, too.)

I’m not sure of the best way to do this because I’m afraid you wouldn’t get a wide enough spectrum of Virginia wines if we did it double blind. I think single blind may be the way to go just for the sake of variety.

Can’t do the september dates - out of town on the 12th and Maddie’s first birthday party on the 19th.

Let’s just do it this weekend…

FYI: there’s a bunch of paper bags leftover from the syrah tasting we did months ago. I noticed they were still there when I went searching for the wine glass pen (first drawer on the far right when facing the counter in the main room).

I would show up for this if it was this weekend. I could contribute to both the ‘world’ and VA side.

P.S. based on my experience ‘the world’ should kick some ass in this tasting, but I have never compared them blind and that does change things…

i say single blind is enough… i don’t think i’ll be able to tell much of the differences, just want to get drinking asap :stuck_out_tongue:

I am interested. I can bring in “world” or VA, or made in VA with grapes of the “world”.

I’d have guessed my boy Pac would like Cali wine.
2pac.png

As I think about this, I agree with Scott. I don’t think it’ll be fair to regular domaine clients if a ton of people show up and dominate the room. Maybe host it somewhere else? Or talk to Alex and John about doing it on a weeknight? That would also make for a more serious evaluation of the wines, which would be fun.

Agree with David.
But I’ll blindly drink whatever folks bring to Domaine tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Should we pick an evening in early August? Are people around then?

All- I spoke with the Domaine guys, and they are happy to allow us to use the room at no cost (thanks to Marc Lazar!). We need to pick a new weeknight to make this happen.

How do these dates work for everyone?

Thursday 7/23
Thursday 8/13
Thursday 9/10

We are thinking a 6-8 or 7-9pm time - any feedback?
We are also working to see if we can get this catered with some casual fare - nothing to formal. More details to come.

Wines - we will do this single blind. Once we confirm the date, and you are >99% sure to make it, I think we should start by calling the Virginia Wines. From there, we can build the “World” wines around it - trying to keep it as similar as possible. For example, If i was to call 2010 RdV Lost Mountain - it would be great if someone else could bring a 2010 Cali cab or 2010 Left bank’er. I would suggest we try both a white flight and a red flight (or 2 depending on total attendees).

Make sense?

I can do either July or August but not September.

VA wines I could bring:
2012 Linden Boisseau (chard and red)
2008 Linden LH Vidal and 2009 Linden LH Manseng
2010 Delaplane Williams Gap Reserve
2007 Breaux Cab a Franc reserve