San Francisco - May 18, 2015 Offline

Hi All, just got back from vacation so apologies for the long absence. Let’s get the ball rolling for a May offline. Usual dates are weeknights, Mon-Wed. I was thinking of the following themes:

Theme:
Old world red and whites

Venue: Zazie - http://www.zaziesf.com/

Date - May 18 at 7:30 PM

Please confirm your attendance ASAP.

Attendees (lets cap this at 8).

1. Joel G. - confirmed - 1998 Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques
  2. Craig G. - confirmed - Red CdP or Bordeaux
  3. RS Beck - confirmed - Red Chateauneuf du Pape
  4. Ashish Agrawal - confirmed - 2002 Amiot Guy Chassagne-Montrachet Les Caillerets / 1986 Doisy Vedrines
  5. R. Frankel - confirmed - 2001 Latour-Giraud Meursault (the Genevrieres/Pierres) and a Faiveley '91 Clos des Cortons
  6. Cindy Wan - confirmed - 1997 Dominique Laurent Gevrey Chambertin VV
  7. Mike Grammer - confirmed - 2007 Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux
  8. Paul J - confirmed - 2008 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières

Waitlist:
9. A Taylor
10. Gary Ko
11. Ed Chin
12. Glen Gold

• Joel

All of these sound good to me. I will try to avoid any Girl Scout or other entanglements.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Definitely interested.

All themes sound fine with me, but I’m hoping we pick a day when I’m not on call. Of the dates you mention, the 19th works for me.

19th would work best for me, too.

Looks like I’ll have to miss this one, as I’ll be away around that time. Haven’t met up with the SF crew in a while, so hopefully the outing after this one will work.

I could make the 18th or 19th, and would be happy to join. Any of these ideas would be fun.

Glad people are starting to chime in. I need suggestions though, I know you guys said all themes look good but we have to chose one you know neener

Anyway, i have a restaurant idea for themes 2-4, I do not have a restaurant in mind for the french whites theme, need suggestions.

I vote for 1 and 5/19.

I will do some research on restaurants and report back.

Thanks Joel!!

I can’t lock this in, but the 18th would be the optimum night for me to bounce in as part of my 18-day California trip.

And…I could bring some…Roulot [grin.gif] and/or Ashish, I have either a 2005 Climens half or a 2011 LTB half with your name on it.

Afraid I can’t do the 19th, I’ll already be up in Napa by then.

If we do choose the 18th, I may be able to persuade Richard Leland to come down for it.

I’m always up for a big-Balla wine dinner… I have lots of nice bottles and not nearly enough opportunities to open them. If we do Italian reds, could we focus on Barolo? I haven’t tried many and it’s a region I want to get more exposure to.

I could do either day but my preference is to link up with Mike.

Mike, if that fails and we do this on the 19th do you still have lunch on the 18th and dinner on the 23rd available? Or do you have any chance to do a South Bay thing say in Los Gatos?

Lunch 18th almost certainly, though I’d be looking at 1:30-ish or so—I’m seeing Ed Kurtzman in the morning and want to give him a couple hours. 23rd probably, but need to confirm that. Ashish—I have a 2005 Produttori di Barbaresco Rio Sordo on the list to bring out, if you’re willing to “bend” to include Barbaresco :slight_smile:

If we could do the evening (after 7pm) on the 18th or 19th I should be able to make it. And I’d love to bring something cool.

And Burgundy and Piedmont are always two of my preferred choices!

Would be great to see you again, Paul!

Waitlist me. Can do either but would prefer the 18th. Themes 2,3,4 in no particular order

I’m either Mike’s bodyguard or part of his posse, I forget which.

Richard,

I assume you are in favor of the 18th, same as Mike?

OK… so if we raise the number of attendees to 10, the voting tally for the date is as follows:
18 - 4 votes
19 - 3 votes
18 or 19 - 3 votes

If we stick to 8 people, votes will tally as:
18 - 2 votes
19 - 3 votes
18 or 19 - 3 votes

Now we have a big problem… I just checked…

1. Alegrias is closed on Mondays AND Tuesdays
    2. The Palace is ALSO closed on both Mondays AND Tuesdays (recent development).

So the only place open on Mondays and Tuesdays is Bella’s (or another restaurant we have not listed).

Zazie is open both Mondays and Tuesdays but only Tuesdays (19) has free corkage. Also if we go 10 people, we again have to go with a family style menu… which is not bad but is a lot of effort to set up. Not sure if they will allow multiple bottles to be brought in if it is not free corkage night. Lastly I was only able to get a reservation for 7 people for May 19 on Zazie though open table (same for the 18th). Entering 8 people made both dates unavailable.

Please start suggesting solutions and/or alternative venues.

I’m in favor of pretty much everything, including the 18th.