Antica Terra and Bethel Heights. A very special dinner in NYC April 11!!!

is this worth the price of admission? $695.00 per person

I will be in New York next month and am carving out some time to host an incredible dinner with one of my very best friends (and one of the most fascinating winemakers I know): the inimitable Maggie Harrison who crafts the stunning wines of Antica Terra, at the iconic New York institution, Per Se.
For this dinner Maggie and I are both excited to pull meaningful, storied bottles from our libraries. We will also open some very special inspirational bottles to muse over as we share the table. As always with beautiful food and inspiring wines, there will be stories told and memories made. I hope you can join us for what will surely be a magnificent evening.

What : Champagne Reception and Five-course Dinner
Wines : Iconic champagne, eight library selections from Antica Terra and Bethel Heights and Chateau d’Yquem from my birthyear.
With : Winmakers / Winegrowers Maggie Harrison, Antica Terra & Lillian and Mimi Casteel, Bethel Heights Vineyard

There are only twelve seats at the table. Reservations are required.

Mimi Casteel
Bethel Heights

Bump. Any thoughts??

What type of thoughts are you looking for? Per Se is one of the finest restaurants in NYC and very expensive. They are pouring alot of wine and you sit and dine with two winemakers. It seems pretty personal- you really appreciate these winemakers and want to share a special experience or that is not important to you and you pass…

What looks to be like the regular 8 course menu goes for $310 inclusive of service.
So just decide if tastes of wines from those producers are worth $400 or so to you. You get unknown champagne and d’Yquem too apparently.

I’m not an Antica Terra fan, and Bethel Heights are kind of moderately priced wines - so for me, probably not.
But there are a number of Maggie Harrison groupies out there, they’ll probably sell it out.

Thank you both. I’m not too knowledgable on the wines, and it certainly ain’t cheap. I was looking for input on the wines, but decided i will pass.

In regards to Maggie- her wines are 2 labels - Lillian - Syrahs from CA priced in the 75-100 range, and her Antica Terra label is 60-100ish which is Pinot from Oregon. Both good, sometimes very good. Her fame began as an assistant winemaker for Sine Qua Non.

My opinion is … yes, well worth it. Can’t speak for Per Se, but per person costs at the French Laundry are easily $500 with “basic” wine, or corkage. This will be a memorable night, with great people (yeah, I think Maggie and her wines are great) and excellent wine. Add in the tariff for NYC…seems like a good deal all for the price of a Fourrier CSJ or Giacosa brick label or off vintage DRC or…

Doug

Here are my notes on the 2004, tasted among a horizontal of 40 some 04s.

2004 Antica Terra Pinot Noir

pwillen1 wrote: (Edit)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 2013 Post IPNC Tasting of 2004 OR Pinot (Matello Winery): Soaring, amazing nose! tons of dried flowers and herbs, everything from rosemary to roses. I could have spent the rest of the afternoon nosing this wine and been perfectly happy. Worth the price of admission just to smell it. On the palate, great earthy, Burgundian feel. a bit dirty, but in the right way. I’d score this wine very highly. Not sure it will evolve much more though, it’s just in a spectacular place right now. Easily my wine of the flight and my wine of the night. I guessed Evesham Wood Cuvee J (and was obviously wrong).

Doug has a good point too, that if you want to drink wine at Per Se you’re going to pay a hefty corkage or a hefty markup and this is a nice way around that.