I'm visiting San Francisco - Dinner April 15th? Rhys?

I’ll be in San Francisco on Business and have a free night in the city, April 15th. I would love to meet some new people in SF and do a wine dinner. I’m a big Rhys fan and it might be fun to theme it that way but I’m open to suggestions. If somebody local might be willing to help round people up and organize that would probably be ideal.

Last time I was in San Francisco I had a killer meal at Commonwealth and they were corkage friendly, though small. I’ve never tried the popular names like A16 or Zuni.

I’m staying downtown near Powell and Market.

Hi Chris,

I’m sure we can round up some Berserkers for your visit. Coincidentally, we just had a get together in SF with a Rhys theme. There might be enough appetite for a repeat, but I’ll weigh in and say I personally would rather move on to another theme. I’m sure we can find a theme that’ll work, one way or the other.

Hi Rob,

Sounds great, hopefully we can get a few other people and put something together.

I would like to join, provided that I have a suitable bottle for whatever the theme ends up being (if there’s a theme). I just moved to the Bay Area this past summer and don’t know the local berserkers, but would like to.
Cheers,
Jon

Sounds fun. I would like to join.

I am open for any theme, other than Cal Napa(nothing against it, but will attend a wine dinner at beginning of the April, so I will still be recovering from 15% alcohol by April 15)

PS: I am from Toronto as well.

I’m interested, with the caveat that there’s always a chance that a work emergency may force me to backout on any weeknight (though I’m usually out by 6 or 7 > 90% of the time).

Cool. Good interest so far. We could probably use a few more bodies to make this happen. If you’ve been lurking this thread now is your time to chime in.

I’ll miss you there by a month, Chris, but have fun. There may be a couple other names on my “So Who Likes to OL” stickie that you could PM. Also, Paul Jeszenszky has moved there from here, I think he’d be up for an OL.

Rest of you guys, hopefully see you in mid-May, I’ll get a proper OL thread up when I know dates.

Mike

Thanks for the idea Mike. There was really only one person who hasn’t already chimed in on the thread and I PM’d him.

Thanks for the interest so far. Hopefully we can get something going with just a few more people.

Sorry guys, I have to drop. I have Giants tickets that night. I could do the 16th, though.

What time do I need to be at the stadium?

Thanks for keeping me posted. Bumping this thread. Unless we get a few more replies it’ll probably need to be called off. I’ll be in the Bay Area on the 16th but am not staying in San Francisco.

Where are you staying?

Hey Wes! On the 16th? TBD. Any suggestions? I’m tasting that day in SCM, then in Sonoma on the 17th so will be looking for somewhere inexpensive inbetween.

No suggestions where to stay on the 16th, but if it’s somewhere mid-peninsula some people might want to get together for dinner or you may want to come to a '94 Cab tasting.

Who is holding the '94 Cab tasting?

Yeah, Wes. Could you PM me with the details on the '94 cab tasting in the 16th? I can probably tweak my plans depending on the location.

Did you guys get together?

Yep. Chris visited Big Basin and Rhys. Bradley and Kevin each sent him off with a couple open bottles. We didn’t have a lot of time to eat, so we swung by a good Taqueria on the way. Ended up being a little early, as were other with their own interesting bottles. Good sized group who were happy to try the wines Chris brought. Most impressive, I think, was the '13 Alpine(?) Chard, followed by the Homestead Syrah.

The theme was 4 pairs of reserve level and regular releases to compare how they aged. 2-2. The Matanzas Creek Merlots didn’t show well. Both maderized. The rest were pretty good, but just that.

Then post-tasting wines came out. I brought a Martin Ray NV Pinot “La Montana” that was probably an early '70s vintage blend. The resident Burg expert likened it to a very mature Chambolle-Musigny, which I think nailed it. Other good stuff included a four vintage blend Cab from Left Bend (a reserve, of sorts) and an '07 Navarro LH Riesling.

No a bad evening.

Sounds great, sorry I missed it.