San Mateo "Sole Ristorante" 5 pm Monday 3/16

Anyone want to get together 5 pm Monday in San Mateo? I need to leave by 7 pm for a flight.

I can’t make it. One of the places our Peninsula Monday (mostly) offline group meets at is Sole (pronounced So-LAY) in San Mateo. Real good down-home Italian cooking and reasonable corkage. You shouldn’t have any problem getting in that night, but do make a reservation. No OpenTable, you’ll need to call.

thank you!

Do you prefer it to Osteria Coppa?

Different. Coppa is more upscale. However, the founding chef/owner of Coppa left several months ago. I’ve heard nothing from my trusted sources if the food quality has remained the same/better/worse. When he was there, I always liked the food, with the pizzas being the exception. Always thought the pizza was mediocre.

No can do; will be at IPOB.

thanks for your suggestions. Going to Sole and bringing some grower bubbles and a 97 Leonetti Merlot.

Great call on Sole! They aren’t going to win any James Beard awards but the service was friendly, the food was good and most importantly the food really let the wine shine. They charged us a single $12 corkage for 2 bottles. Decent stems even.

Thank you!

Glad to hear it went well! It’s a family favorite. Only a 10 min drive from home.

You should have thrown our names around to get corkage waved - (or will that have gotten you thrown out??)