MI Tasting - SF Bay Area - April 1st

One of the outcomes of last night’s RWC offline was finally setting a date for the MI tasting…by the time dessert rolled around we fixed a date of Wednesday April 1st in San Carlos.

Attendees:

1. Craig +1 (the +1 is confirmed, Craig still pending Alan’s OK)
  2. Alan (if Craig agrees to Alan’s attendance)
  3. Ed
  4. Paul
  5. Wes
  6. Merrill

I have a +1 for this tasting, a non-WB MI collector.

I’ll agree to the +1, but am still deciding about you.

April 1st will be a root night; the wines’ fruit will be severly diminished. Postpone it to April 3rd.

Ralph did well to construct that message without using the word “fools.”

The effect of its being a root day won’t be so severe as to make it foolish to have it on the 1st – just not in their (or MI’s) best interest.

I think Ralph is getting at this Fruit Day vs. Root Days: Wine Tasting by the Lunar Calendar and I’ll leave it at that [scratch.gif]

Add me in for this please.

It’s my Birthday Would like to attend but need to source a Bottle.

Joe, you don’t need to bring MI. Please bring a 2011 Burgundy from Volnay, Morey St. Denis or Gevrey Chambertin, preferably 1er cru at least.

But that’s good… We should be rooting for the wines to show well, right? champagne.gif

Count me in.

If people bring ringers that show like the '11 Burg my friends had at the other table, Ray’s wines will show at least relatively well.

Great Craig G!

I would like to come. Mr. Chin says he has me covered for the MI. I can bring something else…to taste before or after or however you are structuring this thing. Bionic Frog?

Mature Yquem would do, if you don’t have a better idea.

I don’t have any MI, and I will be out of town (again, boo) for this one. Have fun!

Andrew, can you update the OP with the current list? It should include yourself (and Chiara if she will join), Merrill, Paul, Joe and Wes. Please put placeholders for the wines and people can start offering what they will bring.

We should discuss what wines we will bring and how to handle the costs. I suggest that we pool the original cost plus shipping and distribute it, so if someone brings Chambertin they will get some $ back and if they bring Volnay they will pay something.

I bought a bottle each of Chambolle Feusselottes and Gevrey Corbeaux from Nick and I hope to have them in time for the tasting. I’d like to have the whole set there. Wes may have one or both too but I’m happy to put both of those in or one of them and any of the others (my friend has at least five of the other wines too).

Another question: If we are only eight or nine people, do we want to do just the MI wines or still add some other 2011s? I would still prefer to have a few extra for comparison. If we take the cost splitting approach we can just lump these in, as some people will end up putting in two bottles.

Finally, Manresa has opened a bakery in Los Gatos. If you are interested, I can pick up a bunch of their baguettes, which are really good, for the fondue.

I’ll bring a Chambertin. And if you need a Charmes-Chambertin (aux charmes hautes) or an MSD Mont-Louisants I have all 3 from 2011 vintage.

I can bring some 2011s from other producers to cover Volnay or MSD if needed as well.

The bottles I own are:

2009 Maison Ilan Morey St. Denis Les Chaffots 1er
2011 Maison Ilan Morey-St-Denis Les Chaffots 1er
2011 Maison Ilan Morey-St-Denis Les Monts Luisants 1er

I am happy to bring any one of these. I will also bring a suitable comparative 2011 bottle (blind to everyone else)

I’m interested. I can bring a 2011 Philippe Pacalet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques.

For '11s, I have:

Chambolle-Musigny Les Fusselottes
Charmes Chambertin Aux Charmes Hauts
Morey-Saint-Denis Les Chaffots
Gevrey Chambertin Les Corbeaux
Mazoyeres Chambertin
Morey-Saint-Denis Les Monts Luissants