Pinot Days, NYC

.Let me know if you are going. We can ‘offline plan’ it I guess. Maybe commerce corner for this? How about Asylum? [wow.gif]

Craig at Sojourn pressed me into duty. What’s so bad? I work4free. I taste4free.

see you there on th s offline planned thing

If work does not get in the way, I plan to attend and I have not been impressed into service so I will be circulating and tasting for pleasure.

Shhh. Maybe we can trade a Rosella’s for a Gaps Crown? [rofl.gif]

Went last year and really enjoyed some of the wines I tasted and people I met. But it was a very tight space and too crowded, so I think I will pass this year.

Wow, I can’t really imagine a less inspiring list of producers. Several objectively bad ones, and the ones who are competent make wine in a style I personally dislike. It would be hard to do worse if I were picking names at random.

Aberrant Cellars
August West
Belle Glos Wines
Clos de la Tech
Davis Family Vineyards
Del Dotto
DeLoach Vineyards
Donelan Family Wines
Fess Parker Winery & Vineyard
Gary Farrell Winery
Hahn Estate
J Vineyards & Winery
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
J. Wilkes
Kendric Vineyards
Landmark Vineyards
MacPhail Family Wines
Mansfield-Dunne Wines
Martin Ray Winery
New Zealand Winegrowers
Omero Cellars
Papapietro Perry Winery
Siduri Wines
Sojourn Cellars
Stoller Family Estate
Thomas Fogarty Winery
Van Duzer Vineyards
Wrath

OK, so we’ll put you down as a “maybe” for now.
Glad to see that excitement is building to a fever pitch for this event!

have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the list of wineriers as well… obviously a few standouts and board favorites, but not sure there are enough others to get me interested enough in going… I think the split into other venues/associations, such as IPOB and WOW, has resulted in the shrunken list of quality participants…

Hey folks. Though I don’t play in this playground, I can tell you that it ain’t cheap for a small winery to take part in this type of tasting - all the way across the country. If you’re small, you may not have representation in NY or the area, and you may not make enough to grab any, so monetarily, it may not be worth it. And then there’s the cost of flying / shipping wines / hotels, etc . . . It adds up and makes it challenging . . .

I think there are some nice names on that list, and the goal of a tasting like this to me is NOT to try to hit em all, but either try ones I have not tried in the past, or perhaps reconnect with ones that I have and hopefully get to meet winemakers / principals . . .

By the way, this should be moved to the Offline area . . . .

Cheers

Ignore the man behind the curtain. He doesn’t actually drink wine. He just complains about it.

LOL

Come on, Jay, you think that’s a representative list of good pinot producers in CA? I don’t think you can argue that with a straight face.

I will be pouring for Ed Kurtzman at August West booth.

I will stop by and say hello. I haven’t had more than one or two of his wines.

Great, Jay, looking forward to seeing you there.

Skipping this year. It was way too crowded to really enjoy it. And no new wines to seek out.

I think you have to look at Pinot Days more as an opportunity to explore rather than curated “Top 100” sort of tasting. The Rigisichs (organizers) are pretty adamantly opposed to any sort of pinot orthodoxy. Things like IPOB get their hackles up. So, they are not going for either exclusivity or focus here. Diversity is the PD watchword. There is bound to be plenty of wine there that falls outside any particular taster’s wheelhouse. But there are invariably discoveries to be made. I knew nothing about Gros Ventre and Masut before the PD in NY last year, and they were my favorite wines of the tasting. Ladd Cellars, Kessler Haak and Waits-Mast were all random stops at other PDs that turned out to be outstanding. I think the first time I tried Rhys was at a PD. The point is, don’t write off the unfamiliar names.

Good point, Stewart and well stated. Label bias works both ways for some. They hate the populars as well as the unknown. Small minds.
I look forward to tasting Kendric. :slight_smile:

At all Pinot Days, including NYC, the VIP pass is worth the cost of the upgrade. Beside the early entry and seminars, you get a $50 voucher on any $100 wine order you make at the event (usually discounted). This deal isn’t usually publicized all that well, but it makes the upgrade a freebie if you find something you like. Also, feel free to use my discount code, KENNY15, for 15% off your tickets. I hope to see a few Berserkers there.