Swiss Fondue Night - SF Peninsula - Reschedule for January

Cap on this at 10 as we only have two caquelons for the table.

Fondue, charcuterie, cornichons…that is all. We have some of the last bottles of our Swiss stash and a couple of bottles of Apremont. Anyone else have some Savoie plonk that they can throw into the mix?

I’m interested, dates permitting.

I am in, if you will have me. Same time, same station.

I have a bit of wine hanging around - EMH Black Cat and, of course, the other stuff I collect and drink. No idea what “goes” with fondue, but I am happy to accept requests or submit ideas of other wines to bring.

My schedule is totally flexible. The good news is that I work for myself. The bad news is that I work for myself.

Count us in, depending on date.

Cab with cheese fondue. Ewwwwwwww, serious yuck!

I don’t have any Savoyard or Swiss wines but I can bring Alsace or Austrian Riesling that should work. If there are reds maybe we could switch up and do them first with charcuterie.

Eric - As a winemaker, I always expect to bring some of my own wine to an outing. Read through this same wine group’s recent truffle and Barolo dinner. It can be served and shared prior to a dinner, following up on a dinner, whatever. It’s a gesture most of us ITB honor.

Don’t get Merrill going about winemakers who don’t bring their wines! Or do… it’s quite entertaining.

What goes on in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

unnnhnnnhhhnnn [tease.gif] [drinkers.gif]
P.S. Getting my post totals up!

We will set these peeps straight one way or another…order in for a couple of kilos of Vacherin via diplo pouch?? flirtysmile

I have never had a proper fondue. Is it much like raclette? I could bring one of those for a comparison. Also date dependent.

Ed, essentially a pot of bubbling cheese into which you dip cubes of bread. In Switzerland it is very regional with different cheeses being used in different areas. We will do the classic moitié-moitié (half-half) which you find mainly around Vaud. Half Gruyère and half Vacherin.

Nearly always consumed with very dry, mineral whites, though the most Swiss person I ever knew (dear Urs Meyer from the canton of Uri) drank light reds with his.

I’m interested. I’ve found that Riesling, Chablis or Chenin Blanc go really well with Fondue. Maybe not with Fondue, but I’d be very happy to drink some more of Merrill’s wine.

Don’t forget that you often also have kirsch and black pepper. Or lemon and white wine with a hint of garlic. It is usually quite acidic. I am getting some good practice at fondue here (both eating and making), and beer or acidic white wine seems best.

I’m interested.

Rub the caquelon with garlic and my dear friend Urs always use to add a pinch or two of smoked paprika. Then of course there are some who will dip the bread in their glass of white before dipping into the fondue.

Eric, if you head down to GVA let me know and I will give you a couple of addresses (avoid Les Armures where Clinton went; highly overrated). Will still say that the best one I ever had was the Cabane du Mont-Fort half way up Verbier…though the skiing and view might have had something to do with that!
http://www.cabanemontfort.ch/photos.html

Though it is pretty hard to screw up a fondue…

Have you eaten fondue in any local restaurants? The easiest way to screw it up is bad bread, and despite having a zillion fine options around the Bay Area, none of the restaurants where I’ve eaten fondue could be bothered.

I think it is better when the bread is about a day old and a little dried out. It absorbs the Fondue best.
It has been a family tradition to have fondue on Christmas Eve.
I like it with the smoked parika and beer in the fondue.
and a nice pallet clearing mineral white like Chablis or Fume Blanc. Champagne can work as well.
Date dependent we might be able to make it.

I’m interested, depending on date. December is getting fairly booked up.